underfloor gas pipe insulation

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
We have an old house with suspended ground floor which has no insulation so I thought I would rip the floor boards up and insulate (simple LOL)

There is a gas pipe going from the metre, accross the room to the door, from there goes to boiler in kitchen (irrelevant to this sitiuation), most of the pipe is 'free standing' is running under the joists but there is a section that is running allong the bottom edge of the joist.

Now my questoin is do I lay insulation over the gas pipe? I've read it can't/shouldn't be insulated, I am thinking laying the insulation on top of it shouldn't be an issue but just need someone to confirm and can't find a clear answer online.

You don't want too many temperature changes in the gas pipe, so leaving the underfloor bit under the insulation should be fine.
I think some confusion arises over the fact you cannot, and should never, allow the gas pipe into contact with concrete/cement, it will corrode into miniscule pinholes.
Hopefully an actual gas plumber will come and confirm this,
My limited knowledge in this subject is simply by working alongside gas plumbers for years.

You don't want too many temperature changes in the gas pipe, so leaving the underfloor bit under the insulation should be fine.
I think some confusion arises over the fact you cannot, and should never, allow the gas pipe into contact with concrete/cement, it will corrode into miniscule pinholes.
Hopefully an actual gas plumber will come and confirm this,
My limited knowledge in this subject is simply by working alongside gas plumbers for years.
Thanks mate, that was my thoughts, laying over top of pipes shouldn't effect the temperature drastically.

funny enough I had gas fitter here yesterday to blank of a gas pipe that was going to an old gas fire (no longer used) and I didn't think to ask him doh

Thanks mate, that was my thoughts, laying over top of pipes shouldn't effect the temperature drastically.

funny enough I had gas fitter here yesterday to blank of a gas pipe that was going to an old gas fire (no longer used) and I didn't think to ask him doh

My gas pipe runs from meter up outside brickwork and into loft uncovered in loft across to boiler and down into cupboard.(y)

My gas pipe runs from meter up outside brickwork and into loft uncovered in loft across to boiler and down into cupboard.(y)
wish ours went outside, but it goes through the house under the floor which is not ideal

temperature or the isulation wont affect your gas pipe but if laying insulation on top of it just make sure the gas pipe is well clipped to underside of joist especially when you said it is free standing you could also use galve band and use that to support it from joists.

temperature or the isulation wont affect your gas pipe but if laying insulation on top of it just make sure the gas pipe is well clipped to underside of joist especially when you said it is free standing you could also use galve band and use that to support it from joists.
using a galve band makes sense, the pipe is in some places half way between the two joists so I wouldn't use clips and was concerned, hadn't thought about using a galve band, the insulation is/will be held in place with netting so shouldn't put any weight on the pipe but want to be sure.

using a galve band makes sense, the pipe is in some places half way between the two joists so I wouldn't use clips and was concerned, hadn't thought about using a galve band, the insulation is/will be held in place with netting so shouldn't put any weight on the pipe but want to be sure.
No harm in asking better safe than sorry :smiley: and as you say netting holding insulation so should be ok. But did not know when you mentioned old gas pipe if it was mild steel or copper, sometimes they are mild steel or mild steel galvanised then change to copper when comming up from under floor.

Back