Unexpected "total freeze" during recording

harmand

I usually program my recordings (OpenATV 6.2) so that the device turns off (deep-standby) at the end.
So in the morning I find the red light on and nothing on the display.
Today, however, the display was still showing the start time of last night's recording.
My TV said that "no signal" was coming from the decoder. The H5 remote control was useless, so I had to operate the power switch on the back.
When rebooted, the unit showed a message like "your H5 did not shut down regularly, do you want to switch to deep standby?".

Last night's recording timer was "waiting". The recorded file exists and plays normally, but is incomplete; it seems that the recording has suddenly stopped about 15 minutes before the set time.

In conclusion: for the first time in over three months of almost daily recordings, my H5 has failed in its usual reliability and has... brutally cut off a recording for no apparent reason.

Any idea about the possible causes for such an unpleasant behaviour?

PS. The installed software was NOT modified recently; the decoder is not connected to the network and therefore automatic updates are not physically possible. Moreover, I never even entered the configuration menus for several weeks.

You need to enable debug logs so that the error is recorded if it happens again.
I don't think one glitch in 3 months is anything to worry about.
Any suggestions as to the cause of the glitch would be pure speculation.

Let's hope it's just "a glitch" then, not "the first glitch" in a series... :]
Do you mean, anyway, that glitches of this kind (sudden unit freezes, even during recordings) are to be expected now and then?

By the way, how can I enable debug logs?

Not expected, no, but it could be momentary power loss, spikes in power, loss of signal, memory problems, anything really.
I don't know how to enable the logs on ATV, I don't use it, sorry.

Let's hope it's just "a glitch" then, not "the first glitch" in a series... :]
Do you mean, anyway, that glitches of this kind (sudden unit freezes, even during recordings) are to be expected now and then?

By the way, how can I enable debug logs?
menu>settings>system>logs settings>change enable debug logs to yes* requires restart

Not expected, no, but it could be momentary power loss, spikes in power, loss of signal, memory problems, anything really.

As to the power issues, I think I can exclude them, as the unit is permanently connected to a sine wave UPS.
Thanks for your help, anyway. :]

Back