USB power for Satellite feed

SteveJol

Hi all, I have a Sony Bravia that has an in built satellite tuner. But it's flaky, I have regular "no signal" issues that go away once I perform a restart, and even then the signal quality is sometimes poor. I used to use an Amiko Mini and the signal was absolutely fine.

I'm thinking it could be because the Sony is not providing enough power to the dish lnb? I'm wondering if there is a USB powered gizmo that can maybe sit between the TV and satellite cable to provide enough juice? Or failing that a very simple/small decoder may be what I need. All I'm after is the free sky channels (need more than what Freesat offers as some of the required channels aren't on standard Freesat but are on Freesat by Sky).

Any help appreciated.

I would check your lnb bud or cut the end off and re do your f connector.
Other than that possibly dish slightly out of line if you have a signal strength meter you could test the signal strength but maybe @linesman66 or some one with more knowledge on the sat side of things would be better to advise bud

I would check your lnb bud or cut the end off and re do your f connector.
Other than that possibly dish slightly out of line if you have a signal strength meter you could test the signal strength but maybe @linesman66 or some one with more knowledge on the sat side of things would be better to advise bud
Thanks, I did look into the connectors and the signal was fine on the Amiko, and now and again on the Sony, hence convinced it's the TV causing issues

Any updates firmware wise for the TV ?

The tuner in the tv could be less sensitive than the Amiko so still could be alignment.

Your looking at 13v and 18v on the lnb if you have a meter you could always check the output from the tv.

I stopped using the Bravia as got lost looking for what i wanted and use the box instead that has Bouquets and epg.

Bravia and Updates drive me mad as always doing something even if on Zgemma Andoid updates.

Any updates firmware wise for the TV ?

The tuner in the tv could be less sensitive than the Amiko so still could be alignment.
TV firmware up to date 👍

Yeah, the tuner being more sensitive definitely sounds like the case. Will fiddle with the alignment, I have a signal strength checker so will see what that shows up. Failing that I might just need to go back to a box.

I stopped using the Bravia as got lost looking for what i wanted and use the box instead that has Bouquets and epg.
Any recommendation? If I do go down a box route I'll want something minimal, ideally mount behind the TV with an IR receiver or something.

I have had to replace old lnbs of 10 years as they crack due to heat and contraction and no removal of f connectors as seized green showing bad contact.
Deffo worth looking at connections.

Back