USB Recommendations?

PMD

OK Newbie here, first post. . . . so hope this is in the right place and please be gentle lol.

My Zgemma H2S is currently on order and I'm well looking forward to getting my hands on it.
I have been looking at the stuff for loading images etc, and some recommend having two USB,s one for images and backups and one for recorded/timeshift stuff

USB ideas please. . .
USB2 or USB3?
USB stick or USB SD Drive?
Minimum Write speed?
How much would say six hours or recording take up. (Trying to work out whether a high speed low GB would be better or a Lower speed High GB)

I'm pretty sure this must have been covered already so I'm off to browse the forum.

Cheers in advance for any response.
PMD

Well I used a 8gb sandisk cruiser for the first time I flashed my box. I now use that stick for doing full backups of the box before I start to do any big messing of settings in case I mess it up completely so I can restore it quickly (never had to use the backup yet though). I did have a 32gb sandisk glide when I first got my box for recordings / EPG / time shift etc but wanted more space so got a Toshiba canvio 1tb USB powered hard drive

For flashing I have used three different brands , all USB 2 and that's a kingston data traveller 16gb, an integral 32gb and a lexar 64gb ,
For larger storage for recordings I always use USB 3, I have used the toshiba canvio too but the 500gb powered from the USB, not failed yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running a 2TB wd portable ultra (USB3 & usb powered), runs very well

sent from the past using my Zx Spectrum

Yes it's been mentioned a few times.....
Don't buy ANY usb stuff off eBay for starters.
I'd buy usb3 simply to guarantee a decent read / write speed.
SD will use up approx a gig an hour, and HD will use approx 4 gig an hour.

Doubt their is a limit. I know at least one person on here said they use a 4tb drive fine (no idea why they require that amount of space though)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have now received the Zgemma and see the USB spec is only USB2 anyway.

(As an aside and not for this thread, I connected the two feeds from a quad S*Y dish and I see the default tunerA config is East 19.2 and
TunerB was West something, I changed the TunerB to East 28.5 rescanned and it found all the channels. Presumably the new image will
sort out the tuner configs anyway, I just wanted to prove it worked before loading a new image)

Think I will start of with a couple of USB3's probably a 16GB for image backup and a 128GB Samsung for the rear USB
I know thw samsungs arent as fast as the Sandisk Extreme Pro but at USB speed it should be fine, plus its cheaper.

Again thanks for the advice.

Now the fun begins in imaging and setting it up lol

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 PM ----------

I forgot to mention I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB for work pc backup and data transfers and its wickedly fast.
Expensive I agree but work paid for that - lol

Back