Use by dates on food...

basejumper

TK Veteran
My wife throws things out at the end of the use by date yet sniffs the milk to see if it is still OK, even if the use by date hasn't passed. :LOL:
I joke with her either use your senses or the use by date.

I asked her what she will do if the only thing to eat or drink has passed its use by date and we are starving.

She said she would throw it away. I said I would eat/drink it and survive and she would die. She said yes but you would get a bad stomach. :ROFLMAO:

I ate a chicken that was 2 years out of date.
Fresh then frozen and forgotten about, I noticed the date on it was two years earlier.
I almost lobbed it in the bin but decided I'd defrost it and cook it for the dog.
When it was cooked it was no different from any other roast chicken I'd ever had so I ate it with veg and gravy and the dog had a tin of dogfood.
In general I don't look at use by dates

I have a bag of tandoori powder that went out of date in 2006.
I still make tandoori chicken using it, it's only ground spices

Best by dates is use common sense and use by dates use you head, you know when something’s off usually.

Bit more careful with meats, dairy etc

If it’s frozen then any date goes.

I have a bag of tandoori powder that went out of date in 2006.
I still make tandoori chicken using it, it's only ground spices

Common misconception is about asian spices they go out of date.

Fact is they never do but supermarkets for whatever reason put best before dates on them.

Parents laugh at spices have such dates on them as for generations they have used spices in our family and never once have they gone off even after using them years later.

We never waste any food or try at least not to. Hate where at times we have thrown food away when knowing those out there are starving yet some occasions have just wasted food.

My dad in particular now is more stringent in food we make. We have to finish the food that has been made before fresh food is made.

Been eating same food for last 3 days lol. Is what it is under the circumstances.

Fact is they never do but supermarkets for whatever reason put best before dates on them.

is that not because it is European LAW to date them "best before"

Would imagine by law all consumable products have to have shelf life on them.

If they dont and anything happens to the individual than stores/supermarkets could be in deep s*it

I used to bring a fresh catch of cod fillets home which I had filleted on the boat then wrap them tightly in layers of newspaper to age dry in the fridge which also keeps the air from spoiling them. The best flavour for me is if it is left for 4 days like this to 'mature'. If I left it one day longer she would throw it out because I made the mistake of telling her it was at its best after 4 days. :unsure:

She now buys mature steaks from Sainsburys which are age dried for 30 days. When I asked her about this she said it was the use by date that reassured her. I told her that cod would keep a week or more but the taste would be stronger. She says it must be off then. :love:

use by dates make me laugh
how can something suddenly go bad at midnight,?
use by 30-03-2020 , so at 1am on the 31st its gonna poison me,????

usually best before means the quality or taste or texture may not be as good.
use by is based on fresh or frozen products spoiling (going off)
i was a butcher for many years and preffered an old steak or a dark joint of beef. never risk it with dubios/fresh chicken it may smell ok but be full of toxins. as for veg , if a spud has a rotten bit i cut it out and keep the ok bit. common sense. i do believe tinned is the best as it lasts for years and years. these use by dates are a bit misleading and conservative .

for fresh food i just smell it, if it looks ok and smells ok its ok to eat.
everyone is different i suppose and has different levels of what is and is not acceptable.

Yep we have an odd best before at work. Example for pot noodles a bag of sauce is blended we have 3 months to use that sauce to preserve shelf life then the pot noodles have 12 months B.B.E. The use by/best before is always at the end of the month.

So say we blend sauce on the 23rd of March and it's used on the 24th of March in pot noodles. The pot noodles best before on the pots will have a best before of 31st of March 2021. Technically it could be used till the end of June.

We could use the same source in April and the pots will have April 2021 best before aswel.

We have had bags of sauce go over the 3 months for us to use depending how long they go over Q.A will allow us to use it or it will be written off.

Back