Windows 7 User Account Name Change

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 7 has the option like previous OS's to change a user accounts name.

For example, if you had one user account named Tom & you renamed it to Mary it will make the name change successfully. However, if you go to C:\Users the profile will still show as Tom & the newly name account Mary will not appear. The originally named Tom account profile will also have a little gold lock icon beside it's folders. Does this have any adverse effect on the renamed user account Mary?

Don't you have to take ownership of the account for it to change the name?.

I know you do when changing username on a partitioned HDD, can't remember if you do once you change it via account settings.

windows-7-take-ownership-option.png

Not sure, my understanding of the take ownership function was that it applied in cases where you took a drive from someone elses machine & caddied it to yours to recover data, that you needed to take ownership in order to be able to access their My Documents, pictures etc folders?

Full of posers today aint you Gman?? I did try this before on XP pro and couldn't do it, my mother and I have the exact same Dell laptops and I used a backup from hers as a fresh install and could never change the name on the original account from her name to mine. Just got used to it in the end. :dunno:

I think the main problem of the name change is that there would probably be alot of programs installed possibly using the original account name and therefore changing the name on the folder would probably cause these to not work at all so it simply wont allow it

Back