Using OpenVPN on VM Hub 3

dsayers2014

VIP Member
Has anyone managed to setup OpenVPN on enigma2 on VM 3 router?

I have tried several VPN,s and every time I start OpenVPN I loose internet connection on box, I managed to setup OpenVPN on BT years ago on my old Zgemma Star 2s when I was with BT but now im trying with Virgin it fails I loose internet connection to box so I cant even get any logs.

Oddly I can setup VPN on laptop and phone just not enigma2 I have tried both OpenATV and vix on Zgemma H.2H and Vu+ Uno 4k.

So can anyone confirm they have setup OpenVPN with Virgn HUB 3? Thanks

Edit I forgot about this thread that may help http://www.techkings.org/threads/openvpn-no-internet-access-using-v-rgin-router.131570/

On the old super hub there was a setting to enable pptp / lt2p . This fixed issues such as not allowing vpns to connect for people who use them in working environments. Potentially related.

My work vpn did not connect but I found a reg edit which I tried on my laptop which enables nat-t type connections and then allowed me to connect. Unfortunately I haven't managed to find a way around it for enigma 2 boxes to test and see if this is the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I still haven't managed to get this working mate. It's a nightmare as i really want to get my vpn working on my enigma 2 box. It was working fine before with bt but stopped when I got virgin in so it 100% something to do with the superhub or virgin blocking something and the protocol used by openvpn.

I still haven't managed to get this working mate. It's a nightmare as i really want to get my vpn working on my enigma 2 box. It was working fine before with bt but stopped when I got virgin in so it 100% something to do with the superhub or virgin blocking something and the protocol used by openvpn.

Yea I have had someone test my config and it works on other sip,s

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yea I have had someone test my config and it works on other sip,s

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
It is annoying can't think of any other way around out it. Interested to know if anyone on here with virgin has a working vpn on openvix

Ok My Virtual Private Network have been back and forwards with emails with different configs with different ports. We have found a solution but not ideal, change dns on box to google

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

This works straight away only issue is DNS reverts to default when I restart box.

Ok My Virtual Private Network have been back and forwards with emails with different configs with different ports. We have found a solution but not ideal, change dns on box to google

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

This works straight away only issue is DNS reverts to default when I restart box.
What if you set the DNS on your router itself to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4?

Never mind - just seen you can't set DNS manually on the superhub normal mode - C***S

What if you set the DNS on your router itself to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4?

Never mind - just seen you can't set DNS manually on the superhub normal mode - C***S

I think ive sorted it I used putty to talnet init 4 to put enigma2 to sleep then edited the resolv.conf file in etc then used init 3 to restart enigma2, editing the file whilst enigma2 is running doesn't save the changes on restart.

Putty can be downloaded at
Code:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

First open Putty, and in the HostName (or IP address) box enter the enigma2 boxes IP address, and then click the Telnet radio button and click open

And then log in using the word, root

Now in Talnet type init 4

This will put enigma2 to sleep

Now go to etc on box and edit the resolv.conf preferably with a test editor ie notepad++
Code:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.2.html

Change it so it says,

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Close and save

Now go back to talnet and type init 3 this will restart enigma2 and hopefully this ill solve openvpn on virgin hub 3

So maybe something can be changed within the network menu to be able to save the changes on restart.

Also another suggestion by @grog68

you need to edit a system file, comment out 5 lines towarsd the end of /etc/udhcpc.d/50default

change (about line 45)
Code:
                if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
                        echo -n "$R" | /sbin/resolvconf -a "${interface}.udhcpc"
                else
                        echo -n "$R" > "$RESOLV_CONF"
                fi

to
Code:
#               if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
#                       echo -n "$R" | /sbin/resolvconf -a "${interface}.udhcpc"
#               else
#                       echo -n "$R" > "$RESOLV_CONF"
#               fi

you may need to restart network after.

Last edited:
I think ive sorted it I used putty to talnet init 4 to put enigma2 to sleep then edited the resolv.conf file in etc then used init 3 to restart enigma2, editing the file whilst enigma2 is running doesn't save the changes on restart.

Putty can be downloaded at
Code:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

First open Putty, and in the HostName (or IP address) box enter the enigma2 boxes IP address, and then click the Telnet radio button and click open

Now in Talnet type init 4

This will put enigma2 to sleep

Now go to etc on box and edit the resolv.conf preferably with a test editor ie notepad++
Code:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.2.html

Change it so it says,

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Close and save

Now go back to talnet and type init 3 this will restart enigma2 and hopefully this ill solve openvpn on virgin hub 3

http://flawless-iptv.xyz/gen

So maybe something can be changed within the network menu to be able to save the changes on restart.

Also another suggestion by @grog68
Brilliant this change to the dns servers allows my now to connect and everything is working . I tried first option but still resets on a box reboot. Have your settings stayed after reboot ? Going to try turning off dhcp giving it a static ip and seeing if it stays on restart when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Brilliant this change to the dns servers allows my now to connect and everything is working . I tried first option but still resets on a box reboot. Has your settings stayed ? Going to try turning off dhcp gibig it a static ip and seeing if it stays ok restart when I get home tonight.

It saved on reboot but restating network reset it. I have turned DHCP to no then edited the DNS that seems to have worked but ill keep an eye on it.

Has anyone managed to setup OpenVPN on enigma2 on VM 3 router?

yes....well sort off lol

a lot of head scratching & a little trial & error but got there in the end... your posts & msg's have proven invaluable so ty for those!

that’s not the end tho...as above I did say sort off....I have managed to get a H2s to run as it should, static IP when no vpn running & it changes when vpn is active so its connecting to the servers ok, the plugin you sent worked a treat after I'd manually edited every single .ovpn & converted to .conf in prep for uploading to the box so Im happy with the H2s... as a side note I only have a 50mb VM bb connection (I really should ask for an upgrade) & ran a speed test with vpn off (54mb) & with vpn on (46mb) which surprised me as I was expecting a big drop (I will monitor this over the next few days & try several vpn locations).

back to the 'sort off'... My Edision OS Mini combo (has both VM & IPTV subs) this box is being a pig!
Everything is the same as the H2s on the Edision (copied file across) only Edi is having a few wobbles... vpn will start & is green but the IP is static & wont change so its not connecting to the server! When the vpn is active on Edi the net connection keeps dropping & my network shuts down so I need to restart it via the vpn plugin or network menu but even when the vpn appears active its still not changing its IP so more work needed there but im slowly winning the battle

UPDATE: finally got VPN to run on the Edision OS Mini Combo, updated receiver firmware to lateset nightly & VPN kicked in as it should with IP change :)

Last edited:
So I take it this is possible on a hub 3?
Static ip
Change nameservers to google.
Change file on putty.
Good to go???
Any changes on hub to make??

Didn't need to change the file on box just turn dhcp off and give the box a static ip address and change name servers to 9.9.9.9 or 8.8.8.8

correct no changes to the hub 3 itself, followed advice posted by memebers here on TechKings & watched a few guide video's online...confussed myself so read/watched all again...then again to be sure I hadnt missed anything but the vpn still wouldnt kick in, as a last resort I performed an online flash to the latest nightly...on reboot the vpn kicked in as it should so I assume something vpn related was updated in the firmwaare.

Back