Vauxhall astra gear selector

pieeater2015

TK Veteran
1574601449789.png
I know nothing about cars except there always breaking,The gear selecter cable has come off and i have found it under the bonnet and it looks like the cable on the right side in the pic,i have put it back on the pin but it seems it needs to be forced in to stay togeather, How do they join togeather

Not sure on vauxhalls but on fords its like a snap fit ball socket etc they wear out after time and need replacing because they just pop back off again usually when going to overtake a car when you slam it in gear lol.
Time to shut your eyes and pray the other car coming your way slows down lol.

Not sure on vauxhalls but on fords its like a snap fit ball socket etc they wear out after time and need replacing because they just pop back off again usually when going to overtake a car when you slam it in gear lol.
Time to shut your eyes and pray the other car coming your way slows down lol.
Speaking from experience there rs

Speaking from experience there rs
Too rite brother had an old mk2 cortina years ago and the gearlever used to screw into the gearbox with really fine nylon threads and i get a bit excited and slammed it into 2nd to overtake a car and the gearlever came right out the gearbox in mi hand and there was a double decker bus coming the other way down the hill ffs.
I just closed my eyes for a split second because i didnt think i was going to get round the car and back in again in time before the bus got me lol.
The saying brown trousers gets used quiet often and trust me it was well and truly one of them moments :X3::ROFLMAO:

Dont know what model this is for but probably works on same principal etc .
Yes i watched a few of the videos this morning thats what helped me find the problem to get the car out of gear and locate the cable,but only being a owner of a philips screw driver an adjustable spanner and a hammer i will let the garage do it.At lest i know what needs changeing instead of the garage telling me what needs doing.

Yes i watched a few of the videos this morning thats what helped me find the problem to get the car out of gear and locate the cable,but only being a owner of a philips screw driver an adjustable spanner and a hammer i will let the garage do it.At lest i know what needs changeing instead of the garage telling me what needs doing.
Yeah mate always handy to be armed with vital info when visiting a garage just to be sure you dont get fobbed off .
Sadly there is still one or two garages about that try it on but most are genuine and will do a fair repair without telling you half the car needs to be stripped down etc and thats where they make most of money from labour costs.
Best thing to do is price a new cable up if possible and then you will have a good idea on costs etc.
Most garages charge anywhere from £35 - £75 per hour labour but the average is around £50

Having a thought about the above issue is sounding like you need the gear selector cables which might be expensive as they are what is coming off the ball.Local motor factors did sell the metal kit on early models when alignment issues thinking not going into gear due to too much free play.

Having a thought about the above issue is sounding like you need the gear selector cables which might be expensive as they are what is coming off the ball.Local motor factors did sell the metal kit on early models when alignment issues thinking not going into gear due to too much free play.
Yeah daughter struggled getting a new cable for Audi but luckily local breakers had one in for £20 at mates rates lol

when i put the cable back onto the linkage the gear stick works again it seems to me it needs to be forced togeather to get it to stay on with something like slip joint pliers because there is no space to get any other tool in there or enough force with your hand.if anything needs changing i would say the linkage its self and the part whats attached to the end of the cable.if the part at the end of the cable comes off.

when i put the cable back onto the linkage the gear stick works again it seems to me it needs to be forced togeather to get it to stay on with something like slip joint pliers because there is no space to get any other tool in there or enough force with your hand.if anything needs changing i would say the linkage its self and the part whats attached to the end of the cable.if the part at the end of the cable comes off.
Yeah the one on daughters car was definatly the snap on part at end of cable that had simply worn out and would go back on for a few miles before it popped back off again.
They normally made of nylon and simply wear out due to a lack of lubricant on them and the selector end is normally steel so this lasts longer than the nylon socket

Its a same issue with wiper linkages and ball and socket issues,frozen wipers on screen=ah so switch on wipers to clear and added torque pops it off.
Ramming it in can have you coming off:X3::LOL:
Usually the ends on gear change cables are all one unit,some may have an adjuster but would need to count the number of turns off and on for correct alignment of gear change gate.

Its a same issue with wiper linkages and ball and socket issues,frozen wipers on screen=ah so switch on wipers to clear and added torque pops it off.
Ramming it in can have you coming off:X3::LOL:
Usually the ends on gear change cables are all one unit,some may have an adjuster but would need to count the number of turns off and on for correct alignment of gear change gate.
Dont forget window regulators aswell when the window is frozen and people just keep pressing the switch hoping the window will go down and then a massive bang because the plastic gears have shattered or the cable has snapped off ffs lol :X3::ROFLMAO:

She has dropped the car off this afternoon at her Mum and Dads next door neighbour in manchester,He is one off those whos front and back garden are full of cars and said he will supply and fit the gear selecter linkage £120 all in.

Back