Windows 7 Very slow pc needs resetting.

cactikid

VIP Member
I had an old slow W7 pc used for office work here and was wondering on anything easy to remove important data passwords etc and anything else needed first.
I might pass it on but unsure everything is removed or a new W7 added to it.
Not into pc stuff hence the questions.

Your best bet would be a clean install of W7 if the key sticker is still on the PC case, there is a method to get the key of the OS, but I can't remember how.
Before the new install put Ubuntu on a usb and use that to format the HDD, first format to ext4 , then back to whatever W7 needs for an install, that should totally wipe the HDD.

Doubt i will be using it again as my midget 5" pc is quicker on W10 and if i got rid of pc would not need pc desk and remove that also and could move storage shelves in there for my sales stuff.
I have cleared cache and cookies and dont see anything stored .
Not sure if handy as a server as know nothing about that.
There wont be alot of sensitive stuff only banking statements which i think were removed as account is no longer there.

Also have an XP desktop or is it W7 as been a while for printing and scanning hooked up to the same display

Doubt i will be using it again as my midget 5" pc is quicker on W10 and if i got rid of pc would not need pc desk and remove that also and could move storage shelves in there for my sales stuff.
There wont be alot of sensitive stuff only banking statements which i think were removed as account is no longer there.

Also have an XP desktop or is it W7 as been a while for printing and scanning hooked up to the same display
Anything you delete doesn't actually get deleted,
It remains hidden on the HDD until something else overwrites it,
If you've ever used "photorec" it would scare you the stuff you can actually get back, commercial programmes would probably be a lot more efficient.

Your best bet would be a clean install of W7 if the key sticker is still on the PC case, there is a method to get the key of the OS, but I can't remember how.
Before the new install put Ubuntu on a usb and use that to format the HDD, first format to ext4 , then back to whatever W7 needs for an install, that should totally wipe the HDD.
If it is a branded windows 7 machine it does not even use the windows 7 key on the sticker thet are activated using OEM:SLIC in bios area + a certificete and OEM:SLP key.
there may also be recovery partition on the hard drive that will put machine back to factory settings.
BUT yes, you can use the OEM:NON SLP key on sticker but one you have used that it is tied to that machine.

Anything you delete doesn't actually get deleted,
It remains hidden on the HDD until something else overwrites it,
If you've ever used "photorec" it would scare you the stuff you can actually get back, commercial programmes would probably be a lot more efficient.
Correct you can recover files quite easily if they have just been deleted , you realy need to use disk type wipe programs to totally wype the drive but if drive is still in the machine then then person needs to boot from a usb or dvd there is freeware program that can make bootable disk Active@ KillDisk Freeware which may be helpfull,

Then either reinstall windows or just give them the machine they can install windows.

Occasionally, Windows.edb files can cause your PC to run slowly. I personally encountered such kinds of issues. Otherwise, there are more different reasons for the issue. Make sure if the Windows.edb file stored in your PC. If it is then delete it first. This article may help you how to delete this.

Also make sure if your CPU 100% storage.

@cactikid , did you actually read last post if windows.edb file is stored on your PC where else would the windows.edb file be , new member and posting links. Perhaps trying to help seems more like spambot.

I could not find an edb file on mine , but a few things out there about that database.

I will check on the slower pc as it needs 10 mins to boot up :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Only on this W10 but only briefly and it was File explorer on this one

No idea as i use Opera browser but tried Microsoft edge and no files found

I remember when I upgraded my laptop from a 7200rpm hdd to an ssd drive. What a difference that made.
Same here I still use and old HP laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5157U originally came with 4Gb ram I upgraded to 16GB and also added SSD drive removed cdrom and put the original hard drive in there in a caddy. SSD really made a difference but also so does extra ram :smiley:

Back