Video Card Suggestions

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
I am looking at installing a video card in the PC. Don't really do any gaming, just looking for smoother video and also for messing about with Photoshop and stuff. As I don't game, haven't really had any experience with these, so any suggestions would be welcome. I have a Corsair 450 watt power supply, so I need to not exceed that available power. Also I see some cards rate their memory in the newer ddr 3. Does that matter when my Motherboard is ddr2? I did find this one, which seemed a pretty good buy with excellent reviews: Newegg.com - HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Oh and I need to keep it with available VGA (D-sub) connections in order to use my KVM box. Thanks.

If you are not into gaming then that is more than ample for your needs.

As for the connectors? I wouldn't allow that to be a consideration for the following reasons,

1. DVI to VGA adapters are very cheap and work perfectly with KVM's. Some cards actually come with one included.

2. I used to think like that too ferg but if you think again the cards with two DVI connectors are even more productive considering you can also get the DVI to HDMI adapters for them. It's a clever move by manufactures I think?

As for the power consumption? You can check that by using This Site, just select everything you propose to have in your rig and it will tell you your power supply requirements.

Sometimes I wonder about gamers and their quest for high end graphics, not only do they need a mortgage for some of the cards but they need to be connected to the national grid to run them too lol Then they are always bitching about lag and jitter. I'm of the opinion that PC's are for lots of things but if want to game buy a console? You can get one for a couple of hundred bucks as opposed to a thousand + for a reasonable gaming rig lol (sorry gamers) :leaving:

As for the DDR3 memory on the card? That's not an issue either as it relates to the GPU memory and is totally independent of the Motherboard.

Last edited:
Well you guys answered my question enough (thank you) that I took the plunge and ordered it. Hopefully it lives up to all my wildest dreams. LOL Thanks again. :cheers:

Gman hooked you up on info FERGUS. ;)

I'd give this a look as well.... may not "last" as long as the one you're looking at but it's $20 cheaper. :)

Sapphire 4650

Back