Virgin Connection

Hi,

I'm trying to get a wired or wireless signal onto the third story of my town house. Virgin was already wired into the house when I bought it new and on the third floor is a blank face plate with a coax cable inside which runs to the brown box at the front of the house. If I was to use a splitter in the brown box for the cable is it possible to get the signal on the third floor? (without moving the router or changing the connection on the ground floor) If so what would I need? Do I need to go through Virgin or is it possible to do myself?

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:
Thanks, I've tried powerline adapters but getting really poor speed. Generally I get 300mps but will max 25mps upstairs using powerline, tried the virgin ones and TP and both the same, used different sockets in both locations too.

You can go direct from your external brown box, with a splitter, as i have it now. But only if you want a direct feed for your TV, STB, otherwise you will need to go to your router for normal internet.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a wired or wireless signal onto the third story of my town house. Virgin was already wired into the house when I bought it new and on the third floor is a blank face plate with a coax cable inside which runs to the brown box at the front of the house. If I was to use a splitter in the brown box for the cable is it possible to get the signal on the third floor? (without moving the router or changing the connection on the ground floor) If so what would I need? Do I need to go through Virgin or is it possible to do myself?

Thanks in advance for the help
In my 3-storey house I designed and installed a wired and wifi broadband data (and satellite) network distribution system.
First I ran a broadband extension cable from the main VM connection on the ground floor to the middle floor (ledge over stairs) and re-located the VM Super Hub 3.0 Router (Model VMDG505) centrally there to provide a good WiFi signal all over the house.
Then for wired broadband I installed a used HP J9561A 1410-24G Switch (eBay £20) inside a comms box, connected it by ethernet cable to the VM Router, and from that switch I ran Cat6 cables under and through the floors to MK K365DABWHI wall sockets in every room.
Recently during the lockdown I found the VM Router was really not up to the demands of home working, streaming etc. so I connected an Asus Gaming Router to the VM Router (in modem mode) to provide the wired and wireless broadband.

Last edited:
which VM router do you have ? :: I recently logged into my VM account and a 'pop-up' said I qualified for an upgrade to a SupeHub 3. I find the SH3 give better Wi-fi coverage in my house...

600mps Powerline is slow by todays standards - most TP's are over a 1000mps now topping out at 1300mps

Back