Broadband Virgin Media ‘Pirates’ Told They’re Also Liable For Other People’s Movie Piracy

So back to scare tactics.

I wonder how much legally they have to go on in courts with people downloading.

From my memory to this day I don't believe anyone commiting piracy has ever been prosecuted but I may be wrong.
100% correct going as far back as the copy cassettes, before CD's & DVD's the BPI (British Phono Industry) now probably taken over by other bodies have only seized the counterfeit items. Then only prosecuted in exceptional circumstances and when on an industrial scale having dozens of machines downloading and copying. Its simply a business decision propaganda / publicity is cheap to generate and has the desired result of frightening people off. Whereas prosecutions are very expensive, time consuming particularly for small agencies and have the added complication causing delay to court procedures COVID.

100% correct going as far back as the copy cassettes, before CD's & DVD's the BPI (British Phono Industry) now probably taken over by other bodies have only seized the counterfeit items. Then only prosecuted in exceptional circumstances and when on an industrial scale having dozens of machines downloading and copying. Its simply a business decision propaganda / publicity is cheap to generate and has the desired result of frightening people off. Whereas prosecutions are very expensive, time consuming particularly for small agencies and have the added complication causing delay to court procedures COVID.

I'm sure the hypocrisy of those at the top to get free media doesn't apply to them.

I can remember the days of winmx, kazaa etc before torrents came along and even at that time the big corps did everything to shut those platforms and yes they succeded but guess what we have many different alternatives for piracy which are still around such as torrents.

I know from personal experience how these cants work. They have sent letters and emails over the years for P2P sharing and say to stop or action would be taken blah blah etc but in reality action isnt taken against the end user but the ones who put the pirated content out there in the sphere.

Last edited:
It’s obvious it’s not scare monger if tactics as if you properly read the article it’s not virgin who are going after the people it’s a company to do with the movie industry that’s wanting compensation.
No one gives a shite about propper back in day of the underground over the years copyright has grown and more and more people doing it so they want to recoup what they’ve lost in revenue whether it be a shitty can copy or a web rip

It’s obvious it’s not scare monger if tactics as if you properly read the article it’s not virgin who are going after the people it’s a company to do with the movie industry that’s wanting compensation.
No one gives a shite about propper back in day of the underground over the years copyright has grown and more and more people doing it so they want to recoup what they’ve lost in revenue whether it be a shitty can copy or a web rip

Companies representing the big media bodies have been trying to recoup their losses as they put it for years this article is nothing new at all..

But fact is just like before piracy was a hugely popular it's still the case now. These companies that represent their big media companies have failed to prosecute individuals that stream or download as far as I'm aware. Personally can't see that changing especially when they can just remove such pirated content by going after the root which is the uploaders, providers etc.

I'm sure the hypocrisy of those at the top to get free media doesn't apply to them.

I can remember the days of winmx, kazaa etc before torrents came along and even at that time the big corps did everything to shut those platforms and yes they succeded but guess what we have many different alternatives for piracy which are still around such as torrents.

I know from personal experience how these cants work. They have sent letters and emails over the years for P2P sharing and say to stop or action would be taken blah blah etc but in reality action isnt taken against the end user but the ones who put the pirated content out there in the sphere.
Napster, I think was my first experience of downloading in approx 1996/7? , used to take about 15 minutes for one track as I remember! things have moved on.

I dont disagree with you Baz, now there are agencies who get payed by the big players to go after copyright infringements and seek compo. However I still think my point is accurate that they create a false belief that 'Joe Publics' chance of ending up in court is massively more likely than it is in reality. All agencies charged with the job of enforcing a set of rules/laws do it police, customs, inland revenue they're all the same. If for instance in reality you only stand a 1/1000 chance of being pulled by customs everyone would be walking through with a suitcase full of fags!

I dont disagree with you Baz, now there are agencies who get payed by the big players to go after copyright infringements and seek compo. However I still think my point is accurate that they create a false belief that 'Joe Publics' chance of ending up in court is massively more likely than it is in reality. All agencies charged with the job of enforcing a set of rules/laws do it police, customs, inland revenue they're all the same. If for instance in reality you only stand a 1/1000 chance of being pulled by customs everyone would be walking through with a suitcase full of fags!
Absaloutly bud do remember the lime wire days ect for music bud and your point is right bud

I read alot of articles From TF as always good to be aware of circumstances relating to piracy.

From what I have read in particular over the last year or so be it regarding iptv, torrents or whatever else is the company trying to enforce a copyright claim for their client onto individuals almost always fails.

As what concrete evidence would they have to prosecute individuals? Those people can just say simple thing like WiFi network was hacked and they have no idea of the copyright claim that is be mentioned.

Court orders and the like to chase 100s of thousands or millions of people pirating is more of a risk than reward and likely a waste of resources and time.

I read alot of articles From TF as always good to be aware of circumstances relating to piracy.

From what I have read in particular over the last year or so be it regarding iptv, torrents or whatever else is the company trying to enforce a copyright claim for their client onto individuals almost always fails.

As what concrete evidence would they have to prosecute individuals? Those people can just say simple thing like WiFi network was hacked and they have no idea of the copyright claim that is be mentioned.

Court orders and the like to chase have 100s of thousands or millions of people pirating is more of a risk than reward and likely a waste of resources and time.
Cause it comes from the original IP address if was hacked would be a different ip from a different device🤣🤣🤣

Cause it comes from the original IP address if was hacked would be a different ip from a different device🤣🤣🤣

Was just making a point of what some would say in the circumstance regardless of how silly it may be and unbelievable it may be but as usual you have to put down my point and put yourself higher up.

So back to scare tactics.

I wonder how much legally they have to go on in courts with people downloading.

From my memory to this day I don't believe anyone commiting piracy has ever been prosecuted but I may be wrong.

I cannot wait until you get your Mesh bought and setup correctly and you go on a download bender and your folks recieve a letter from Virgin for illegal downloads and terminate the internet contract 😂😂😂

I cannot wait until you get your Mesh bought and setup correctly and you go on a download bender and your folks recieve a letter from Virgin for illegal downloads and terminate the internet contract 😂😂😂

I haven't needed a mesh mate for years with crappy routers I have had from dial up, to DSL days to fibre days today always managed to do heavy downloading lol.

I can remember not too long ago I downloaded roughly 2TB in a month but more so with RD than torrents directly :LOL:

Tbh I have been somewhat good and careful as been years since got the last letter thanks to my stupid brother downloading better call Saul from TPB but that could all change in the future lol

I haven't needed a mesh mate for years with crappy routers I have had from dial up, to DSL days to fibre days today always managed to do heavy downloading lol.

I can remember not too long ago I downloaded roughly 2TB in a month but more so with RD than torrents directly :LOL:

Tbh I have been somewhat good and careful as been years since got the last letter thanks to my stupid brother downloading better call Saul from TPB but that could all change in the future lol

I don't think I've ever got a letter. Even when I lived at home which is surprising. Would have been funny though my old man would have burnt my PC lol!

Back