Virgin Media VOIP Setup

southsimon

TK Veteran
so phoned virgin today , got 3 useless people with appalling English. So here's my question?

Has anyone had experience is changing from standard landline telephone to the VOIP setup which you can connect to on the back of the superhub 3 modem once enabled.
Looks like its just a case of RJ11 to RJ11 or do you need to buy VOIP phones?

Any help much appreciated !!

From what I have read on the Virgin Media Community they are rolling out the service in certain areas where they are installing fibre to the premesis. If you are in a "Purple" zone your router phone socket should work. You can find out what colour zone you are in by dialling 1765 from your VM phone. (I'm in a "blue" zone.) If you are not in the "purple" zone it won't work.

If you are in a "purple" zone they have probably wired a BT phone socket into your router.

The user-guide for each zone colour is here.

right well I am in the "Blue zone" my contract ends soon and my current package has been cancelled. couldn't get the deal I wanted so vm said to take out new contract in the mrs name. upon signing up it said the landline number will be setup in voip and will be via the superhub? so this brings me back to my original question about the compatibility of using my existing phones?

There is an adapter to connect to the back of the Hub, you then use a normal phone. Not sure if they connect to existing phone extensions if you have them.

I've had VoiP for years, using a Netgear VoiP box and a VoiP service, uses normal phones.
The only time I use my landline these days is to answer calls from ambulance chasers, PPI callers and to call VM to complain about their services.

well the mrs and I both have unlimited mins on our mobile, the landline is really there for incoming only for other family members. will be glad when PPI ends lol.

Appreciate all the help guys many thanks !!

final got what I needed, no help from VM though lol. all you need is an RJ11 to BT plug style adaptor. From what I understand it needs to be one that is ringing capacitor enabled. £3 tops flee bay.

Attachments

• Convertor.gif
    Convertor.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 17
final got what I needed, no help from VM though lol. all you need is an RJ11 to BT plug style adaptor. From what I understand it needs to be one that is ringing capacitor enabled. £3 tops flee bay.
Wouldn5 bother buying them they’ll give you them for free

well at least I now have one when the new kit arrives just in case? getting the help from VM to find what I needed was appalling. knowing my luck some Muppet will forget to put one in the box anyway lol

Does anybody know how to connect existing extensions to the VOIP phone system coming off the SuperHub? Using multiple Dect phones is not an option. A schematic/diagram will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
As stated above the sockets on the model are RJ11 standard phone sockets, like used in USA etc. You can plug existing analogue phones in them but you need an adaptor for phones with "BT" plugs. So it is just like running them off a "BT" socket once you have the adaptor. Quite often the other end of the lead with the BT plug will have an RJ45 plug into the phone so you could use a lead with RJ11 at both ends instead, they used to be called "modem cables" in the old days. Argos sell them. If you plug too many handsets in they might not ring.

Your modem sockets have to be enabled of course. Logging into your hub till tell you, the first page on mine says "Telephony (Disabled)".

I no longer have a phone line, now PPI is over I only got called by robots asking if I have had an accident. Family calls me on mobile or over Amazon Echo. VM said they couldn't possibly reduce my monthly payment any lower even though I threatened to leave, so I left for an alternative deal with Vodaphone. VM called me the next day and matched it.

Presumably your existing sockets plug into a BT/VM wall socket? Simply unplug from the main socket and plug them into the Router, via an adaptor as pictured above.

Back