Virgin playing with my box?

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
This is a strange one and wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

My box, a VU Uno 4k works perfectly for weeks and then it will start freezing, the picture will freeze but the sound continues fine and I am unable to do anything on my box and have to power off, I can't even ssh to the box. This will happen numerous times during the day at random times, it could be in standby and not respond or I could be watching tv and then everything bar the sound freezes. The next day it works perfectly again and continues working perfectly well for weeks and then the issue returns for a day

This happens if I am watching BBC 1 SD (not using cs line) as well as premium channels so not my line.
It happened when I was using ATV 6.3 and now 6.4
I have in the past even reflashed the box in the hope to sort it but it makes no difference
It doesn't happen on a fixed day, I can go 2 weeks one time and then 5 or 6 weeks the next until it happens again nor is it the same day of week.
my HDD has less than 100gb of 1tb used (not all recordings) and I have initialised it again in the past which again has had no effect

Now my question is, one for the conspiracy theorists, is there any way that VM could playing silly buggers with me one way or another?

@grog68 the only thing I would suggest is maybe signal, it most likely co-insides with the volume of Vm users now using their systems more often than they have done.
Possible vm boosting across the network......your thoughts?

Then again your box being disabled I would think isn't Vm.....not unless they have your spare remote and messing with your head :flushed:

Last edited:
I did think that when it started happening today but this same thing happened about 3 weeks ago and early february, it't happened about 5 times since beginning of the year, so not sure if to do with the obvious increase in load since everyone is off work but do wonder if they have boosted the network on these occassions and for some reason the box has falled foul to it for some reason. I'm not a techie when it comes to that sort of stuff.

@grog68 I've had boxes load up but generally down to repetitive finger pressing lol. Is your box relatively new? maybe overheating if a bit older. Kinda clutching at straws here as your well in the know as such. I would think if it were VM it wouldn't just be you they had been rolling it out on......though you never know:wink:

@grog68 I've had boxes load up but generally down to repetitive finger pressing lol. Is your box relatively new? maybe overheating if a bit older. Kinda clutching at straws here as your well in the know as such. I would think if it were VM it wouldn't just be you they had been rolling it out on......though you never know:wink:
that's my train of thought which is why I posted here, it can't be just effecting me if it was virgin playing.

The box is probably couple of years old, got it when sat lost sky branded channels, its not on most of the day and has space around it so shouldn't be over heating, although that could actually give similar symptoms. It's the total randomness of it and the fact it plays up all day and then works fine the next that baffles me. ie today it;s being a silly bugger, tomorrow it will work fine and will do for weeks. it makes no sense LOL

It's one of those things that annoys you all day, but then its forgotten about and you don't even think about it, until it happens again.

Have you enabled debug logs to see what the box is doing when it freezes?
I was having the same issue with a Vu+ Duo 4K and a Vu+ Ultimo 4K and it seemed to be tuxtxt caching that caused it.
I think it's something to do with teletext so I just deleted the folder and it seemed to cure it.

.... or just come over to the dark side and watch TV trouble free :ROFLMAO:

1585937709097.png

Definitely sounds like signal. Mine varies with temperature amongst other things. I suspect you are marginal and when the quality drops just a little you start pixalating and the box tries to recover, eventually locking up

I was getting impure thoughts there about your box:fearscream:but with all this stay at home is the service under pressure with more people on it?

I was having the same issue with a Vu+ Duo 4K and a Vu+ Ultimo 4K and it seemed to be tuxtxt caching that caused it.
I think it's something to do with teletext so I just deleted the folder and it seemed to cure it.

View attachment 49463
Where was that folder if you don’t mind me asking

View attachment 49463
I will give that a go, not switching to the dark side, you will never get me :LOL:
00008 area had 4 of these letters in last 6 weeks
Oh not seen that here, although same netid. Maybe they are tweaking.

Typically TK appears to have fixed it, not had an issue since I started this thread LOL

Yeah its been relentless for last few weeks and getting sick of it now and son whinging at me when hes live streaming and then boom connection gone again ffs :whistle:

Back