Vm box and guide? please

Oops

Hi all, I have a new problem:whacko: (well not me exactly) my nephew called with me at the weekend and couldn't get over how good my zgemma h2s box is :p so now he wants one but the problem is that he only has vm cable and I'm not sure what box he needs I was thinking either a H1 or a H2H, would ne of these do? he also wants to be able to record as well as watch tv. What way do I go about setting one of these box's up?
I was wondering if I could use a guide like the woosh's brilliant guide I've read somewhere that I need a splitter to split the vm cable is this true?
Do I use an mgcamd line and do I put it in the usr folder.
I'm sorry for all these noob questions but with all the great help I received the last time I couldn't think of a better place to ask lol

Thanks,

:beg:

Any of the boxes will do but the h2h is faster if he isn't using sky have a look at bioheads and dillyp,s backups there set for vm only yes you will need a splitter to split the feed to router and box and also an rf adapter. If he's only using the vm feed then he won't be able to watch and record another channel he could if he was using the sky feed aswell or he can buy usb cable tuner from zgemma.co.uk that will allow him to record a vm channel and watch another

Thanks for the reply dsayer, I'm a little confused now if I go with the bioheads or the dillyp's backup will he be able to get the sky channels? and if he has a feed from a sat dish would he not just go with a sat tuner, what is the point of having cable if you have a sat feed? By the way I'm looking at your guide it looks great ;)
Once again sorry for asking noob questions :eyes:but I have to learn some where lol.

If he has a sat feed aswell he could go with h2h use sat and cable the bonus is cable has HD still (sports well better) Plus he can still record one while watching the other. Bit of a downside is requires a line for both sat and cable but look around you can get a line that will unlock both ;) any questions mate just ask on here we will get you set up.

you said he only has vm so you would need to disable the sat tuner or use a backup that has been configured for cable only this means he would only be able to record the channel he's watching if hes got a sat feed as well then he can record one sat and watch one vm or the other way round. if he hasn't got a sat feed he can buy a usb tuner to allow him to watch one and record another on vm

thats why i didn't suggest using my backup because you will need both sat and cable to use it

Last edited:
No easy answer without knowing more details but the basics are like this:-
H2H is a twin tuner that has 1 sly tuner & 1 vermin tuner, this is fine IF you have a Virmin broadband connection & also have a dish with at least 1 feed coming to the box, Using this way you will need two gifts/lines to be able to watch one channel & record on another (one for Sly & one for Virmin, also the Virmin connection requires a splitter & an adapter to connect to the box), you will have FULL HD back on the Virmin tuner side of the box but obviously not on the Sly side. This is the normal way to use a H2H.

In addition to the above the box can be used as a single tuner by switching off tuner A or B IF you dont have both connections available (Sly dish connection & a Virmin broadband connection), you will lose the ability to record one channel & watch another at the same time if you do this. You would only use a H2H like this IF you only have one connection type at the minute but are planning on adding the missing sly/Virmin connection at a later time.

Another option is to add an additional tuner to the box such as a USB Cable tuner, this will give you a 2nd tuner on the virmin side (watch & record another channel both in HD) plus IF you have the sly side tuner connected then you will have 3 tuners in total although the sly side will be in SD.

Cheaper Option:- just because he has a virmin connection does not mean he needs to go the virmin route unless he really wants HD Sports/Movies back, he could IF he has a sly dish buy the H2S instead & setup as a normal twin tuner but he would have to live without the HD that virmin provides. Cheaper option as he would only need a sly line

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys guys what a great forum this is for help, you have given me quite a lot to think about, but I love a challenge :p I will talk to the nephew and see what he thinks to be honest I can't see him forking out for a sly dish so I think he will go with the single tuner box and not worry about the recording option (but you never know!). If I/he does go for the single tuner which would be the best box and image to go with? (would I just be wiser to go with the h2h box and disable the second tuner?) He lives something like 50 miles away from me so I'll want to get my homework done and get it nailed down before I set off :binoculars:

Compared to the guys on here the knowledge I have will fit on a postage stamp but for what its worth this is my opinion:

He needs a cable box as he has a virmin broadband supply but no sly dish...he could buy a single tuner for around £40-£50 (bit of a guess) but that will limit him in two ways... no option to watch & record plus IF the box is not an Enigma2 box he wont have the nice looking skin layouts that you find on this site so NO kiddac slyk1 hd, beta SkyQ skin, no red hd virmin skin... a big deal IF you want it to look like main providers... I would recommend still buying the H2H even though he wont be using the sly tuner... because he can at a later date add a USB Cable tuner to gain the record & watch option plus its an Enigma2 platform, not the cheapest way but it gives him the best options to upgrade...unless anyone knows of a better way?

Thanks Beaky I think I'll go with the h2h box mainly because I have a h2.s box and the wonderful wooshman's build on it so I'm familiar with the setup, I also think that he will want the virmin skin as that's what he's used to, I can disable the second tuner but I think he might quite like the idea of being able to record so the usb cable tuner seems like the way to go but how does it work do you split the virmin cable ?
Just on a side note where do you get the beta sly Q skin, I might quite fancy that myself on my h2.s box:p

Right guys, I'm in need of your help once again :) I have the h2h box for the nephew on its way and I also have the splitter and the rf converter but now I need to know how to physically connect the box, I'm guessing that there is a feed going to his vermin box atm, do I take this lead and connect the splitter to this then plug both cables coming from the splitter to the h2h box (one cable with the rf converter connected to it) I have tried to search for this info but cant find it, I'm ok with the line side of things (I hope) as I have done my own h2.s box.
Sorry for being a complete noob lol

If he has a sat feed aswell he could go with h2h use sat and cable the bonus is cable has HD still (sports well better) Plus he can still record one while watching the other. Bit of a downside is requires a line for both sat and cable but look around you can get a line that will unlock both ;) any questions mate just ask on here we will get you set up.

im lucky my provider gives me both for £60 a year i didnt even know then when i got virgin installed i plugged in before virgin arrived and voila it worked!!

Right guys, I'm in need of your help once again :) I have the h2h box for the nephew on its way and I also have the splitter and the rf converter but now I need to know how to physically connect the box, I'm guessing that there is a feed going to his vermin box atm, do I take this lead and connect the splitter to this then plug both cables coming from the splitter to the h2h box (one cable with the rf converter connected to it) I have tried to search for this info but cant find it, I'm ok with the line side of things (I hope) as I have done my own h2.s box.
Sorry for being a complete noob lol

Also would like to know, any pictures showing it done?

Last edited:
In addition to the above the box can be used as a single tuner by switching off tuner A or B IF you dont have both connections available (Sly dish connection & a Virmin broadband connection), you will lose the ability to record one channel & watch another at the same time if you do this. You would only use a H2H like this IF you only have one connection type at the minute but are planning on adding the missing sly/Virmin connection at a later time.

Hey guys the nephew has connected the box himself (we live 50 miles apart) he has the vermin cable connect to the splitter and then one cable going to the zgemma h2h box and the other going to the router, but now he's getting SID not found in PAT message, I was wondering if it would have anything to do with the second tuner not being turned off ? and if so how do I turn the tuner off ? or is it something else, the box came with the line pre installed so it could be that. :beg:

edit I asked the nephew to go to the menu, setup then service searching then autobouquetmaker and then start scan (I found it on these forums with search) but he's now getting :- AutobouquetsMaker, cannot read data, now I'm lost :anyonethere:

Last edited:
Final edit lol got it sorted finally YaY :bye: I'd just like to say a big thanks for all the help I really appreciate it :smoke rings:

Back