Vm tracing third party boxes

G-SatTV

I'm not sure if posted , so wanted to share a few posts I have seen over the last few weeks

On a few sites , Digital world, tech watch, sat universe plus a few I'm on that are not public have had posts reporting the following:

Virgin media vans outside their house and knocking on the door asking can they enter because they may be a problem with their equipment as a problem in the street.

Now we all know this quote has been around for years. Back to pace boxes days and eurovox days.

It seems now they are tracing RF noise on the network from third party boxes. Now it does mean they know the house . But will knock on some to see who's in and if have a account to enter.

One guy claimed he was asked to look at his wiring and made a excuse to go in first and unplugged his dreambox. When the engineer returned from cab, said to the guy . Strange the problem in street just went off.

Most here will just post, saying they can't just enter my house. You best read their terms of service, as you hire the boxes and they can ask to fix problems and swop your boxes if they say they have too.

Has anyone come across the above?

I think this sort of stuff always gets blown right out of proportion..one post and its been copied all over making everyone paranoid...
just be cleaver pay for the very cheapest tv package and all will be good..

We know this and done the rounds for years . Have broadband and all is good. BUT it's not just one post its several on a few sites and people claiming the same. I will ask a Virgin service tech next week when I see him as get my f's and cable of him

Most here will just post, saying they can't just enter my house. You best read their terms of service, as you hire the boxes and they can ask to fix problems and swop your boxes if they say they have too.

They cannot enter your house period without your permission!!There not the gastapo.

You best read their terms of service, as you hire the boxes and they can ask to fix problems and swop your boxes if they say they have too.

Not at any time they see fit. They can't enter your house without permission, it doesn't matter what you "rent" from them.

If it ever happens to anyone, just tell them you're busy and to either contact you to arrange a call out at a more convenient time. Or even just to come back in an hour when you're not so busy.

i dont have any subs from virmin and im in an upstairs flat but the cover thats on the property where wires connect and enter the house that blue/brown cover had been removed from 7 houses in my street by a virgin media man the only way i found out was because he pulled off my downstairs neighbors who has a sub from them mines about 8 feet higher, the lad quickly replaced the cover for the neighbor but mine never got removed but my signal level is at 65 flat im pritty sure the lines been dropped as too has 5 of the others 3 of them had the cover removed and the wires cut just level with the ground and had the connectors removed when the lad down stairs was chatting the the virmin lad he said its all apart of the upgrading of the cables the removed wires wont have the new fibre installed until the property is active with a subscription or something along them lines.

i forgot to say regarding the dreambox guy they cant say the issues gone by him removing the box if hes on a tv sub there wont be an issue its when theres a signal increase but only internet is paid for then they will just drop your place in the cabinet lowering the signal for tv which wouldnt effect the internet. their after the properties that have sinal thats running with no subs and they will do what they done in my street which has happened in other areas also

Last edited:
i always said if you dont have a min package you deserve to be cut off,then less chance of getting cut off,wonder what the noise is they quote hearing on your line.

sat comes from the dish so they have no way in seeing what you do.

but you need an active internet do they look?

i always said if you dont have a min package you deserve to be cut off...

Why?

In my particular case I had over 6 months of absolutely abysmal service from VM. My internet was intermittently going of for a minute or 2 every 15 mins or so. I had numerous visits from "engineers", made numerous calls to India (switch the pc & router off & on again...goodbye sir!), made numerous posts on ther user forums & still after 6 months nothing had changed. The internet was completely unusable.

The last "engineer" even told me that his parents are having the same issues as me, so it wasn't uncommon! As if that was supposed to make me feel better!

As a long term user of VM, I also found out that I had been paying £10 more than current users were paying (& not just through the introductory offer), which didn't exactly please me either.

If VM can't be bothered to cut me off after nearly 5 years of leaving, then I feel no guilt in using the signal that they knowingly still supply me with.

p.s. sorry if my post turned into a bit of a rant. :)

ha ha quids up on you then ,if you have a bad service record then ok go for it and long may it last,but for the ordinary person even pre n3 always stated best.

got the crappy super hub?

I never had the super hub.

According to the CS advisor I spoke to when cancelling, it was down to a problem in my local cabinet, which he said he would arrange to be fixed the next day by a network engineer! Strange how he only arranges to get it fixed when I phone to cancel?

He also offered me various discounts on other services to try & tempt me to stay, but there was no way I was staying with VM after my problem being ignored for 6 months. Even though I only got a quarter of the speed switching to ADSL from VM fibre, at least it was reliable.

i dont have any subs from virmin and im in an upstairs flat but the cover thats on the property where wires connect and enter the house that blue/brown cover had been removed from 7 houses in my street by a virgin media man the only way i found out was because he pulled off my downstairs neighbors who has a sub from them mines about 8 feet higher, the lad quickly replaced the cover for the neighbor but mine never got removed but my signal level is at 65 flat im pritty sure the lines been dropped as too has 5 of the others 3 of them had the cover removed and the wires cut just level with the ground and had the connectors removed when the lad down stairs was chatting the the virmin lad he said its all apart of the upgrading of the cables the removed wires wont have the new fibre installed until the property is active with a subscription or something along them lines.

i forgot to say regarding the dreambox guy they cant say the issues gone by him removing the box if hes on a tv sub there wont be an issue its when theres a signal increase but only internet is paid for then they will just drop your place in the cabinet lowering the signal for tv which wouldnt effect the internet. their after the properties that have sinal thats running with no subs and they will do what they done in my street which has happened in other areas also

I think that's what VM probably did with me.

I have broadband, and I bought a Q5 receiver, and hooked up to a server. The receiver worked well, then one day the picture just started breaking up. I managed to get a guy who worked for VM to come out and do a homer. He went down to the box outside my house, and increased my signal, I think he said he moved me up to a higher level on the box. Since then I've been getting an excellent signal, according to the Q5 receiver, though I know receivers aren't always accurate, I'm getting a 100% on my signal level, and signal quality.

The guy did say VM could come out and move me down the levels again.

Back