VOD Apps - Syncler, Plex etc.

Hi Guys,

As some of you might know, I am pretty new to the streaming game.
Although I have a pretty good IPTV sub, I was wondering what are the advantages of using a separate VOD streaming app like Syncler, Plex etc.

In fact, I am most interested to see if there are any apps that would be able to achieve the following:
  • UK TV shows - Wife loves particular TV shows and she doesn't seem to get on with catch up in the IPTV format and recording is hard due to lack of series link
  • Share between devices - Start on one device, but finish on another ( Start playing from where you left off, sync watched lists etc. )
  • Suggestions based on what you watch - A little like Netflix I guess, the more genre you watch the more similar suggestions come up

Just trying to understand what the best set up would be for our needs.

Thanks all!

What about the syncler app bud?
Is there any advantage of using that over stremio? I looked at Syncler and I like the UI to be fair

I am assuming they both offer the same service though?
To be honest, I am happy to cough up the £15 per year to keep the wife happy :ROFLMAO:

I'll give stremio a shot and see how I get on with it - any tips on set up mate? Is it straight forward?

Ah, I see...
I created the account on real debrid and that's it. ( I'll happily pay though, that's not an issue )

When I clicked on the link from your instructions to generate a token, I was given a long string of numbers/letters.
Does this mean that I am not actually using real debrid then?

Is there any difference between real debrid vs alldebrid? Do they both do the same thing?

Thank you so much for your help by the way, really appreciate it!

Some suppliers have a app with premulize links worth asking yours. Thats the same as real debrid.

If you like older stuff you may not get that. You cant beat a good plex sub in my opinion and its probably cheaper.

Hi mike123,

I started out with Plex in mind, but later ended looking at streaming apps instead.

I am mainly interested in quality TV series for my wife - stuff like Eastenders, Don't tell the bride etc.

Would plex be a better solution?

Hi mike123,

I started out with Plex in mind, but later ended looking at streaming apps instead.

I am mainly interested in quality TV series for my wife - stuff like Eastenders, Don't tell the bride etc.

whats wrong with the iplayer,itvx and all4 apps they will have all that stuff your mrs is after,mine uses them all the time

Hi mike123,

Well bbc i player will deal with eastenders not sure about other stuff. Plex in my opion is still far superior to any system. Aslong as it is setup correct.

@pieeater2015 is correct if its stuff o FTA just use iplayer, tvx etc

Not all women are made equal guys.
We've dropped Sly package and since losing the "all in one" system the Q offered, she's done nothing but moan about it.

I am determined not to go back to sly, hence trying to get everything in one place - in a similar way she had it with Sly.

Are there any good set up guides for plex at all anywhere? I've never used it before, but having done some research, it seems I can connect multiple catch up services ( BBC iplayer, ITV hub, netflix etc. ) to transform it into an all in one hub.

If I can achieve that, I could possibly be onto a winner here!

We've dropped Sly package and since losing the "all in one" system the Q offered, she's done nothing but moan about it.

I am determined not to go back to sly, hence trying to get everything in one place - in a similar way she had it with Sly.

Are there any good set up guides for plex at all anywhere? I've never used it before, but having done some research, it seems I can connect multiple catch up services ( BBC iplayer, ITV hub, netflix etc. ) to transform it into an all in one hub.

If I can achieve that, I could possibly be onto a winner here. I wasn’t aware of this ? If you find out more please post. EDIT : just had a look at this “discover” feature in Plex app on my shield. Clicked on a series ( last tango in Halifax) to try. Lists it available for free on iplayer when I click on it in Plex it says “this app iplayer is no longer compatible with your device ? Yet if I close Plex app and open iplayer app it works fine. Personally I use Plex for my own content and have all the other Plex stuff “hidden” off screen. When you are talking about wanting a “hub” for ease of use . In our lounge , the wife is very happy to use the shield . On Home Screen she has ,iplayer,itvx, Plex apps etc. It’s all there , all her catch up and live tv. , in your case as Mike says , you could use a Plex sub and then it’s all there on screen , shied or whatever device you choose acting as a hub.wife couldn’t even tell me where the tv remote is , she only uses shield remote.

Last edited:

If I can achieve that, I could possibly be onto a winner here!
You buy a plex sub mate. The good ones will have evreything your Mrs will ever need. Ask your supplier if they do one but make sure it isnt a carbon copy of there VOD offering

nice one mate,
I've seen few offerings on Reddit, but not sure if it's a good go to?

Any pointers as to where to find a reliable supplier? Is this forum a good place to ask for one?

Back