volkera gas boiler

erchiewan

when switched on -the pressure guage is at zero and it keeps flashing red code 04 all the time.when topping up you hear the water rushing in and when it reaches 2 bar i switch it off, within 2minutes its back to zero also how do i light the pilot as i cant see any flame would this be the cause? can somebody please advice....

A drop in pressure means that there is a leak check you rads and pipes mite be heat exchanger leaking

as previously stated lack of pressure is basicaly water is leacking, ia the pressure releif valve open? the piolet want for safty reasons ie no water if boiler gets demand for haet we have a very dangerous situation. findthe leak.

thanks bobby123 and john l-----i went round 9 radiators joints with a few sheets of bog roll (which picks up any leaks no matter how small)and every one was dry. where is the pressure relief valve situated?? --ps. i keep it switched off all the time.

It could also be the expansion vessel, its job normally is to keep the pressure the same no matter the temperature of the water. Basically, it is a vessel with a membrane down the middle, water on one side, air on the other, if the membrane breaks, then it cant equalize the pressure. Do you have an overflow pipe (not the correct name) leading to the outside of the house?, if so fill the water pressure up, then knock on the system and see is the water spurting out through the overflow pipe. If so then it could well be the expansion vessel. If you fill the system up and it is pouring out to the outside of the house(without the system being on) then the probability is that it is the overflow valve that is faulty.

The pilot light cannot be lit while the pressure is so low, this is a safety issue as if it was to boil up and there was no water in the system, then it would burn out the whole boiler in no time.

The pressure relief valve is generally quite easy to find as it has what looks like a key ring attached to it. You pull the ring and it will expel the excess water to the outside of the house. An idea might be to pull it a few times in case there is something caught in the valve itself (fill the system, pull ring, and repeat).

Last edited:
thanks wheelo==i wont be able to get to the boiler until mon or tues but i,ll copy out your instructions and take them with me. i,ll let you guys know how i get on.

Back