VPN Encryption

mrlip

Evening All

Just setup OpenVPN on my 2 Zgemma boxes using IPVanish as the provider. Both working without issue first time and I can see the IP address is being saved. VPN off and my IPTV isn't working (footy on!) and with it activated IPTV works.

However, 1 query, I've done a speed test and the data speeds seem pretty quick considering a VPN is activated so I was wondering if the data is being passed without any encryption when the VPN is active. Is there any way to check if the data is actually being encrypted? I have the IPvanish certificate installed obviously.

Have ran some speed tests on the box and speed is pretty much the same whether VPN is active or not. When I ping the IP address with VPN active it is returning a different IP address so that element of the VPN is working but would expect the speed to be lower??

Have ran some speed tests on the box and speed is pretty much the same whether VPN is active or not. When I ping the IP address with VPN active it is returning a different IP address so that element of the VPN is working but would expect the speed to be lower??
All VPN providers I've tested loose noticeable speed and I'm running a high end 1.5ghz dual core router.

I know which makes me think something isn't quite right? My speed should be lower than what it is. I have the VPN on the 2 devices (Zgemma) rather than a router.

Running E2 speedtest plugin it usually gives results around 45-50MB. Connection is 52mb BT Infinity.

Run a speed test at

Run a speed test a good couple of times and see if the speed changes

Just ran 4 tests in a row and all came out about 45mb. Without the vpn it’s about 49 so barely any difference. I’ve asked my iptv provider if he can check his end if all looks ok.

Main reason I asked the question was I had read that with a vpn enabled, the zgemma could really struggle both on connection speed and processing power as it struggles to process the encryption required with VPN. Glad I didn’t go out and buy a powerful router!

Just ran 4 tests in a row and all came out about 45mb. Without the vpn it’s about 49 so barely any difference. I’ve asked my iptv provider if he can check his end if all looks ok.

Main reason I asked the question was I had read that with a vpn enabled, the zgemma could really struggle both on connection speed and processing power as it struggles to process the encryption required with VPN. Glad I didn’t go out and buy a powerful router!

a powerful router wont lose as much speed as a cheap one,
and it does the encryption and decryption for you, instead of the box
but, how much is a powerful router,?
£300.?

a powerful router wont lose as much speed as a cheap one,
and it does the encryption and decryption for you, instead of the box
but, how much is a powerful router,?
£300.?

Yeah prob looking at 150-200 for one and even more if you wanted one to handle all devices in the house.

For now I’m really happy with the vpn running on each zgemma box. Speeds are great and my provider has confirmed the IP is masked their end

Back