VPN in simple terms

TickTack

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick your brains, if that’s ok?

I’m not the techiest person, so please bear with me :)

My ISP (Sly) has started blocking my IPTV - I currently run it through Duplex App on my LG telly. I’ve tried running a VPN through the telly by changing the DNS address - I’ve tried 2 providers Cyberghost and SmartDNS Proxy but no joy.

The Sly Shield is set to Adult only, as I’ve read on another thread.

What would you recommend please?

Get a firestick, install a vpn app directly onto that and watch your iptv on it.

Cheapest and easiest option.

A vpn router
I thought this might be the case, so here’s another question.....

my LG TV is set up using a home plug adaptor, as it’s too far away from the router for WIFI. Will a VPN router:

a) work alongside the existing router, so that the rest of the house doesn’t have to connect to the VPN router to access the internet.

b) Will a VPN router work through the homeplug adaptors?

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick your brains, if that’s ok?

I’m not the techiest person, so please bear with me :)

My ISP (Sly) has started blocking my IPTV - I currently run it through Duplex App on my LG telly. I’ve tried running a VPN through the telly by changing the DNS address - I’ve tried 2 providers Cyberghost and SmartDNS Proxy but no joy.

The Sly Shield is set to Adult only, as I’ve read on another thread.

What would you recommend please?
Vpn on a smart tv is not really an option.You can create a hotspot on another device with a vpn installed and tether the tv from that which i do with my fire stick or get a vpn router off the bay and plug it into your existing router failing that a provider who does not get blocked. I also use an app on the stick which allows a vpn to be installed directly onto that if using the laptop for other things or switched off.

Get a firestick, install a vpn app directly onto that and watch your iptv on it.

Cheapest and easiest option.

would I still be able to watch the IPTV through the Duplex app on the telly this way, or would I have to install Duplex on the Firestick as well as a VPN to watch?

would I still be able to watch the IPTV through the Duplex app on the telly this way, or would I have to install Duplex on the Firestick as well as a VPN to watch?
Yeah you would be able to watch through duplex mate and you can buy pre configured vpn routers where they are just plug and play ebay will sell them amazon sells them

I thought this might be the case, so here’s another question.....

my LG TV is set up using a home plug adaptor, as it’s too far away from the router for WIFI. Will a VPN router:

a) work alongside the existing router, so that the rest of the house doesn’t have to connect to the VPN router to access the internet.

b) Will a VPN router work through the homeplug adaptors?
Vpn router will work through home plugs but throttle your speed which is the downside

Vpn routers and a full 24 months sub will be £100+

Yeah you would be able to watch through duplex mate and you can buy pre configured vpn routers where they are just plug and play ebay will sell them amazon sells them
So I am still able to watch IPTV through the TV app? not through the Firestick app This way?

So I am still able to watch IPTV through the TV app? not through the Firestick app This way?

Is there a particular reason you don't want to watch through anything but the app installed on the TV ?

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason you don't want to watch through anything but the app installed on the TV ?
Not really, it’s just easier, the tv remote is better than a Firestick one and I don’t really want to change between a Firestick and tv. Not a biggie, but just trying to avoid it if I can.

Would you guys recommend a plug and play VPN router, or try To configure one myself?

Not really, it’s just easier, the tv remote is better than a Firestick one and I don’t really want to change between a Firestick and tv. Not a biggie, but just trying to avoid it if I can.

You've got a lot more faff and expense overall to continue viewing through your tv than just the hassle of using an extra remote sometimes but each to their own.

Thanks for your help.

Does the VPN router have to be connected to the router directly, or will It work using an Ethernet connection elsewhere in the house (via homeplug)? Which is connected to the original router.

Thanks for your help.

Does the VPN router have to be connected to the router directly, or will It work using an Ethernet connection elsewhere in the house (via homeplug)? Which is connected to the original router.
Vpn router needs to be in the main router and as already mentioned plug your home plug into the vpn router and the second one direct into the tv but keep the rest on normal router

Vpn router needs to be in the main router and as already mentioned plug your home plug into the vpn router and the second one direct into the tv but keep the rest on normal router
Cheers Moshi

Which VPN router would any of you recommend?

Back