Vpn with virmin hub 3 poor

bangloud

Hi all,
Go t vpn set up on router with mag box connected.isp is virmin got hub 3 which is rubbish.seems things got worse and keeps dropping out on vpn speeds up and down.got the settings correct in hub 3.i would likc to ditch hub 3 and get a second hand hub 2 which allows vpn in settings but read you cant just swap coz router is locked to the network it was issued too.my other option is hub 3 in modem mode and another router connected for the wifi and ethernet side of thing for devices in house,then my vpn router into that to run the mag i k ow that's a modem plus 2 routers would that solve the vpn issue virmin is blocking through hub 3 im with pia for the vpn this is effecting all on virmin but other isps good

Got hub 3 no real issues with using a VPN.

Those on virmin who had issues use a VPN and have web safe turned off. That usually solves the issue of blocks.

All settings are done and web safe off in apps these have been running nearly 2 years but recently issues got worse ,slow speeds etc.even with vpn router removed speed at mag goes up but not getting constant results .45 then 4 then 20 then 52 etc its jumping all over.ive swapped ports replaced cables gone direct with Ethernet instead of homeplugs.still same.getting 110mbps at virmin router on speedtest with laptop using ethernet so defo getting blocked.i seen virmin doing hub 4 upgrades free but seems they have issues too.would go down modem and router mode if that is gonna work

iam sure virgin throttle vpn ,they say they dont throttle ,but my vpn on virmin super hub 2 connected to asus router ,virgin hub in modem mode ,i dont get any more than 20 meg ,on some servers rubbish speeds ,ok for using with iptv ,but not for watching 4k vod ,if any one else has virgin and can get very good speeds of 30-60 meg would love to here ,i using surfshark ,and what setting you use .

Using super hub 3, firestick and Nord VPN.
Everything works fine, no problems with any sort of stream ( sd, hd or fhd).
Not noticed any throttling of speeds.

They say don't throttle speeds at peak or at all load of crap.

ALL ISPs have to tbh with many people use their networks.

Mostly when I stream or download get close to my full speeds. Here and there can get atrocious speeds due to their throttling.

has any one done a speed test when using virmin and vpn ,mine never go above 20 meg ,all safe mode off etc , also notice some one selling vpn routers on ebay and in his description qutote
This router can reach speeds of 60Mbs using VPN, except with Virgin, they throttle vpn speed to 20Mbs
so what i was saying i dont get any higher than 20 meg must just not be me ,if any one can do a speed test using vpn ,virmin ,and if got a asus router with vpn activated would be good to see results

All settings are done and web safe off in apps these have been running nearly 2 years but recently issues got worse ,slow speeds etc.even with vpn router removed speed at mag goes up but not getting constant results .45 then 4 then 20 then 52 etc its jumping all over.ive swapped ports replaced cables gone direct with Ethernet instead of homeplugs.still same.getting 110mbps at virmin router on speedtest with laptop using ethernet so defo getting blocked.i seen virmin doing hub 4 upgrades free but seems they have issues too.would go down modem and router mode if that is gonna work
i had an issue like your having got a new hub 3 sent out all is fine and dandy noo..i use pia vpn not a problem..with it on each device ...

I have tried Nord, Surfshark and Express VPNs with VM all kill my speeds. Switched to PIA had no issues apart from VM crap wifi. will need to get some mesh plugs Black Friday i think.

i had an issue like your having got a new hub 3 sent out all is fine and dandy noo..i use pia vpn not a problem..with it on each device ...
ok going to go on the virgin app and get a upgrade to hub 3 from 2 ,will see what happens ,not convinced though ,as i will only use in modem mode and connect to asus router ,but worth a shot ,cheers

I'm with VM & have several devices that stream, none of them give me my true speed on a test with or without a VPN turned on (tried a few different VPN's), however when I run a speed test on my PC I always get my full/true speed so they have not throttled my connection, latency is always higher on my streaming devices than on the PC, as long as I can watch what I want smoothly I don't care what the numbers say.

Last edited:
I'm with VM & have several devices that stream, none of them give me my true speed on a test with or without a VPN turned on (tried a few different VPN's), however when I run a speed test on my PC I always get my full/true speed so they have not throttled my connection, latency is always higher on my streaming devices than on the PC, as long as I can watch what I want smoothly I don't care what the numbers say.
My iptv is fine I get full speed it's some wifi devices are rubbish. The traffic managment is awful on hub 3.0

Speed test on hub 3 to sheild = 185 meg
On phone 135 meg no VPN
On ipad 35 meg
On xbox 50 meg
On mrs phone 35 meg
On laptop 50 meg.

Wifi devices are rubbish all gadgets tested with nothing else connected in same room as router.

Just an update guys.Told mg m8 th purchase a tp link c50 ac1200 router from argos £29.99.I put his virgin hh3 in modem mode connected the c50 to it tried a speedtest with laptop getting 85mbps so a drop of 25 from the 110 straight from hh3.but what i do get now is 45mbps through pia vpn through the vpn using the laptop.Connect it to mag still saying about 5-7 mbps.i don't think the mag speed test is accurate i trust the laptop more.it now seems to play better at mag he also noticed no drop outs on wifi even when kids on the pc's even alexa not dropping out lime it did before.I dont think the hh3 can handle sharing out the band width also i thjnk virgin are throttling vpns.For the sake of £30 get a c50 and try through modem mode see if better note the c50 only has 100mb ports not gigabit like some more expensive models but who gets more than 100 at mag anyway.

speed test on laptop with sufshark vpn not PIA with asus router ac 56u virmin super hub 2 in modem mode ,test on laptop 19.02 meg ,on zgemma 15.3 ,laptop is wifi zgemma hardwired ,tv is watchable ,except 4k vod films ,but its just every one getting diffrent speeds ,without vpn nearly 100 meg ,would have exspected a drop using vpn ,but not that much ,but it is what it is ,cheers guys for all the responce

I believe you need 50 plus mbps constant for 4k content. Alot complaints on virgin community forum about poor wifi with hh2 and 3 and hear the hh4 has its probs has well.please try hh2 in modem mode really easy to do lots of info on net on how to and try another router connected to it some good reports from people who have had issues.only other alternative is to go to another isp and leave virgin if you can get a decent speed from elsewhere .i haven't got virgin anywhere near me but i know loads having issues with the service.lots blaming the home hub poor hardware.

Back