Water pressure/flow query

Shiv

TK Veteran
Hi

My landlord has installed a combi boiler recently and I’ve noticed the water flow/pressure from the hot taps have decreased significantly.

Before the combi we had a gravity fed system with a 3.0 bar pump and the flow was 10/10 in all taps.

Also when I turn the hot water tap on full, it takes about 15-20 seconds before it starts getting warm/hot

Is there any pumps for combi boiler system that can help pressure increase ?and for the hot water to heat up quicker??

Think of your new combi boiler like an electric shower, the slower you run it the warmer the water, and also, the faster you run it, the colder it will be, and yes, it will take about 20 seconds for the warm water to get to the end of its run...!!!

Think of your new combi boiler like an electric shower, the slower you run it the warmer the water, and also, the faster you run it, the colder it will be, and yes, it will take about 20 seconds for the warm water to get to the end of its run...!!!

So interms of increasing the pressure/flow is there a pump availbele you know of?

My combo boiler same the takes 15-20 seconds to get warm as the boiler heats the water as your running it and as @wullboy has said the slower you run the hotter it is I find putting hot tap on halfway still gets as hot as running slow but if I turn tap up with it flowing fast it's not getting hot enough so by time bath full it's warm enough for kids to get straight in which is a bonus lol

So interms of increasing the pressure/flow is there a pump availbele you know of?
Is your stop tap turned up full and some areas have higher water pressure then others

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple answer is there is nothing you can do as the boiler works on flow rate per litre a minute. Example if the maximum is 12 litres a minute that is only what you can get,There is other options to add a tank but it would involve a fair amount of cost and work.Keep the hot water temp as low as possible and the hot water will run quicker as the boiler is not working so hard.

Should be a pressure reducing valve fitted on the mains water pipe going to boiler. Will be a gauge with numbers on it thats usually adjusted at top with allen key or flat head screwdriver. Try adjusting a little higher not to much has the flow will be too much and water wont get a chance to heat in the heat exchanger

flow and pressure are totally different things,
do you have a flow rate issue, or a pressure issue,?

You should check the spec of the boiler to see the hot water flow rate. Then check the flow you have, don’t need a flow meter, just a stopwatch, probably one on ya phone, and a bucket/bowl. Fill bucket to the quantity the boiler should produce per minute, Mark the level, empty out and time how long hot tap takes to reach it, should be 1 minute obviously. Also You may have high pressure taps installed.

Back