Weird issue

hkphooey

TK Veteran
Hi guy's
I'm with sly having to use vpn, and last month or two while mid week footy is in I get terrible speeds from around 8pm and can't watch my sub at all, I've tried 4 different vpn's all the same I'm now settled on Nord.
It's really weird as when it's over I'm back up to speed virtually instantly. I've contacted sly they have says nothings wrong and router stats ( not sly supplied have never used there's) are all as they should be.
Supplier also seems all OK their end. Surely can't be throttling me as I'm behind a vpn, really doing my head in.
It runs OK on my phone data also but tonight's wasn't so good.

Last edited:
There are rumours that traffic shaping is being applied by certain ISPs to some VPN traffic. I guess this is to discourage usage.

There are rumours that traffic shaping is being applied by certain ISPs to some VPN traffic. I guess this is to discourage usage.
Wow really? Surely they can't do this, also there's hardly anyone having same issues on my supplier support group.
Was thinking of ditching sly for Vodafone but surely if they use same physical line I would get similar issues?
Also why when footy is on I'm watching all channels all the time.
I have it running whenever TV is on as use iptv as my main source of viewing.

Last edited:
ISP's can do what they want if they say it's protecting their network performance for other customers for example. Given that the bulk of IPTV traffic is probably sports based it makes perfect sense to apply the shaping when the footy is on; go for maximum annoyance!

Switching to Vodafone might make a difference, but I would imagine all the big ISP's may try something like this. Vodafone also doesn't get the best reviews for overall performance so probably worth avoiding. One of the smaller ISP's such as Zen, might give you a clearer connection if that is the issue.

ISP's can do what they want if they say it's protecting their network performance for other customers for example. Given that the bulk of IPTV traffic is probably sports based it makes perfect sense to apply the shaping when the footy is on; go for maximum annoyance!

Switching to Vodafone might make a difference, but I would imagine all the big ISP's may try something like this. Vodafone also doesn't get the best reviews for overall performance so probably worth avoiding. One of the smaller ISP's such as Zen, might give you a clearer connection if that is the issue.
Cheers yes understand they will do whatever they feel fit but surprised they are able to pick out individuals.
What a major bummer, zen looks good wonder if this would be decent

Trouble is there are loads of VPNs around for me PIA works well. But all VPNs can kill your speeds by upto 50% during peak times. The other problem can be they are processor hungry which can also cause issues. Changing ISP may or may not sort the issue.

Bazz has sly as his ISP may be worth asking him which VPN he uses.

I had exactly the same problem, with the same isp. I subscribed to Surfshark (previously used digibit but only turned on when blocks happened.) i have Surfshark set to connect automatically on every streaming device at startup and the problem has gone away. I suspect and user traffic tracking.

I actually get faster speeds with the vpn turned on than without it too.

I had exactly the same problem, with the same isp. I subscribed to Surfshark (previously used digibit but only turned on when blocks happened.) i have Surfshark set to connect automatically on every streaming device at startup and the problem has gone away. I suspect and user traffic tracking.

I actually get faster speeds with the vpn turned on than without it too.
Cheers bud.my supplier will only work with a vpn on so its on from first thing .. I have nord on start up connecting i have zero issues weekends funny enough and all is sweet without footy so run it all day literally , I previously used digibit, monster and vulture all cheaper vpn's but again all worked when no footy it's actually started with champions league matches.

I switched to nord thinking as its 4 times more expensive would be OK. All maintenance is carried out, hard wired one device other wireless but I have it right on top of a second router.

Ipv6 disabled on both, I have over 30mb download speed on both sticks with vpn on. But ends up a crawl when this all starts. All other streaming is fine that's another puzzle, last night I could watch matches on 4k amazon video.

I also have a mesh wireless set up that's really good, this is really doing my nut in.
I tried a different supplier was same, so not them. I also tried their own app again same, I use tivimate default.

Trouble is there are loads of VPNs around for me PIA works well. But all VPNs can kill your speeds by upto 50% during peak times. The other problem can be they are processor hungry which can also cause issues. Changing ISP may or may not sort the issue.

Bazz has sly as his ISP may be worth asking him which VPN he uses.
I'm with sly as my isp and don't use a vpn at all for my iptv on average I get 36mbps hardwired and about 22-23mbps on WiFi so can't really say on whether it is the isp causing the disruption.
It could be number of people on the network in that area or in the household or as you've pointed out some vpns for seriously hungry on certain aspects.
If was me I would run speed tests during day with vpn on and then turn the vpn off and do the same at an evening and also try different countries on the vpn provider as some could well be to near full capacity them self's.

Yeah I had the same issue on different devices, different subs, all during football. Unsure if it was the vpn that sorted it or if the isp were up to some dirty tricks that they did for a while to try to disrupt my streaming then just moved onto other customers. There's certainly been some strange goings on since the football restarted.

Yeah I had the same issue on different devices, different subs, all during football. Unsure if it was the vpn that sorted it or if the isp were up to some dirty tricks that they did for a while to try to disrupt my streaming then just moved onto other customers. There's certainly been some strange goings on since the football restarted.
I do know when all the major blocks kicked in recently they had a super court order (vm) to follow people's traffic ie 12:30 3pm ect and led them to what they needed but 90% have work rounds now.
For example Joe blogs on a Saturday morning used 1.2gb of data then spiked to over 30gb of data on the same consecutive days and times

maybe have look in the vpn settings for "obfuscate connection" it tries to hide vpn use, so the isp doesn't see it. its called scramble on ipvanish, the app I have, i don't use it but worth a go.

Cheers guys.. Would really like to get this sorted so looking to try bits so suggestions are most welcome.
I'm sure it will be same tonight, bu strange amazon video footy works and thats 4k...defi something to tweak scrambling my brain.

maybe have look in the vpn settings for "obfuscate connection" it tries to hide vpn use, so the isp doesn't see it. its called scramble on ipvanish, the app I have, i don't use it but worth a go.
Sure I tried that but have enabled it again now mate cheers.
Was on p2p getting like 70mb on average with vpn on both sticks. They both run minimal apps caches cleared, etc etc.

Sure I tried that but have enabled it again now mate cheers.
Was on p2p getting like 70mb on average with vpn on both sticks. They both run minimal apps caches cleared, etc etc.
70mb with vpn on is only little bit slower than my fibre connection, you should be good.:laughing:

70mb with vpn on is only little bit slower than my fibre connection, you should be good.:laughing:
I know bud it's bloody crazy... But thats right now later from around 8pm it gets pi$$ poor for about a hour it's very frustrating.
Oh and only while footy is on seems to be these weekday matches weekends are OK.

gotta be traffic shaping or everybody in your street watching footy at the same time lol

I do know when all the major blocks kicked in recently they had a super court order (vm) to follow people's traffic ie 12:30 3pm ect and led them to what they needed but 90% have work rounds now.
For example Joe blogs on a Saturday morning used 1.2gb of data then spiked to over 30gb of data on the same consecutive days and times

Yeah the thing is though, the Mrs and kids stream a hell of a lot of content at all times so I don't think my football viewing would cause a big spike in data. One provider I use spoke of issues affecting approx 5%, of all users and said they'd work to resolve it so I'm guessing it worked, just strange that all 4 subs I tried seem to have been resolved at the same time.

Yeah deffinatly mate Alot have resolved the issues and Alot have said just use vpn it's easier lol like us my lad constantly online gaming I only watch iptv if its ppv boxing or vod

Cheers guys.. Would really like to get this sorted so looking to try bits so suggestions are most welcome.
I'm sure it will be same tonight, bu strange amazon video footy works and thats 4k...defi something to tweak scrambling my brain.
I think Amazon prime and Netflix work flawlessly with minimum mpbs! So wouldn't show gliches

Back