What type soldering iron?

jodav

VIP Member
Hi,
I am pondering buying a soldering iron sometime in the future. It will be for use on DC power jacks\capacitors and the like on motherboards.
I have done a bit of research and its looking like i may need a 70\80 Watt.
I have been looking at something like this. For the amount of times i may use it, it does not seem worth buying a more expensive variable soldering iron.
I could possibly use 40 Watt setting for any older boards that i may be asked to work on, and 80 Watt for newer boards that may use lead free solder.

Does anyone have any experience that could possibly advise me as to type, wattage etc.

Thamks for any help, jodav.

This is more than adequate for anything you'll need to do with a computer. I would purchase a flat sided tip also as it would be more suitable for removing jacks.

You may also wish to purchase one of THESE if you intend to be removing components from time to time.

You certainly don't want anything too hot lurking around someones prized Mobo lol

-

Cheers Gman, I bought a Antex 25W one around 6months ago (and a de-solder tool) from Maplins, but it was not capable of melting the solder on my practice boards, every time I see the iron, I feel like taking a sledgy to it lol
The only thing I have not turned my hand to as far as computer repair is soldering, mainly because I have not had the equipment, and demand was\is not big. Every time someone asks me to repair a power jack, I turn them down if it is a soldered one, and I go through the same process of should I get the tools to do it. I will take your advice on board Gman if I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and I will post if I have more questions or need more advice.(y)

Ive used a 40 watt draper myself before but that was on xbox motherboards, tips i found didnt last that long but that could have been down to misuse by my part.
Be sure to clean them as you go and not to let the iron switched on longer than usual.
0.8mm lead free solder would prob be the best to use, if you can get it, on the smaller points.

Last edited:
Great stuff axxxo, from your post and Gman's it looks like I now have an idea of the type of soldering iron to purchase. I may just sit tight and keep an eye on e-bay for a while as I am in no great rush at all. Googling sealey tools did not totally convince me the one I was looking at is fair quality.

Your advice is much appreciated axxxo(y)

Back