Where is the cheapest place to get RAM memory for Laptops?

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi

im wondering where the cheapest place is where i can get ram memory for my laptop?

its a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FJ

ive looked on ebay and other places, been getting prices of £50+

anyone know any good sites i can shop around on?

thanks

Could always try ebay you might get second hand, go to crucial.com and get your system scanned and it will give you the ram type compatible with your system and a price to buy from them.

i got ram memory installed today 2x2GB, huge improvement in the laptop, however when u go to my computer at the bottom you have system information, tells you the ram size, it says 2.84GB when it should display 4.00GB

why is that? i think it may have something to do with 32bit or 64bit OS systems, or does the BIOS need updating?

just got email from the place i i got my ram memory from he said the OS and graphics card will be taking up most of the ram memory. BUGGER lol

Last edited:
XP 32Bit cant use any more than 3GB of memory regardless of how much you physically install.

64 Bit Win 7 can.

I dont think gman is advising you to switch os.
Basically whatever ram you have installed is showing what is available to the os minus whats being used by the system.
What you have is plenty!
On newer os's like windows 7 the amount of memory physically installed is whats shown, they dont subtract whats being used by the system anymore.
If you open a program like ccleaner youll see on the top right it shows you how much ram is physically install on the laptop/pc.
Where did you buy from in the end and what type of memory did you get?
Thought you'd report back with what was needed, might have been able to advise you on different frequencies for the ram.
Would have cost more though :)

i bought it from mrmemory, free delivery :) 4GB thats 2x2GB £52

it was for the toshiba satellite pro L300-1FJ

i got an email from where i bought it from he said if you install 64bit OS then it will show it fully 32bit does not

thats fine so you have the max amount of memory that the laptop will support according to the specs.
I wouldnt worry about the whole amount of ram you have installed not showing fully.
64bit os can be tricky as not all software supports it, id stick to what you have .
Gamers should only be worrying about that sort of thing, that and graphics.
If all your doing is general use then a simple ram upgrade does wonders for better performance.
Do you have service pack 3 installed for xp?
Ive read somewhere thst sp3 is supposed to show the amount of ram installed and not just whats available.
Go to windows update and make sure your fully up to date.

i have windows vista home installed on the laptop, i may just leave it as it is, or upgrade to windows 7, dont like windows vista

Im on vista home premium myself, i have 4gig ram installed and it shows me 4 g's in control panel, system and maintenance, system.
Service pack 2 is installed also.
Where did you check to see how much ram is installed?

where you go to my computer it tells you at the bottom has like a bar at the bottom, i think mine is showing less due to the on-board graphics card eating some of the memory up

Back