Which ethernet cable and best place to buy

davnav

Hello All
I'm after running a new ethernet cable upstairs, Needs to be 15 metres in length, Is Cat 6 or Cat6a the best to buy at present.
Also where's the best places to purchase these cables.
Thanks For your time

Hello All
I'm after running a new ethernet cable upstairs, Needs to be 15 metres in length, Is Cat 6 or Cat6a the best to buy at present.
Thanks For your time
I recommend you use the [pwerline adapters with minimum 1000MBPS as they will use the lectricity of your house as internet conductor.
They come by pair and easy to set. You connect the first one on your router and the second one on your device wherevert it is in your house as long asd you are using the same power supply company. Costs around £30 and use them myself

I have tried many times to use various Powerline adapters, all with very limited success. I have some here at the moment TP-Link AV600s. Utterly useless, ping times are terrible, typically >500ms and data dropouts all over the place, Internet speeds dropped from 40mbps to 1.8mbps. The do work OK (ish) if you put both on the same ring main and they aren't too far apart but outside of those limitations, sorry, in my experience a waste of time. If possible use a cable.

I have tried many times to use various Powerline adapters, all with very limited success. I have some here at the moment TP-Link AV600s. Utterly useless, ping times are terrible, typically >500ms and data dropouts all over the place, Internet speeds dropped from 40mbps to 1.8mbps. The do work OK (ish) if you put both on the same ring main and they aren't too far apart but outside of those limitations, sorry, in my experience a waste of time. If possible use a cable.
AS I siad it has to be at least 1000 MBPS . Your TP Link is only 600 MBPS. Makes a big difference

Mine are tp link 1000 aget get nothing near speed,its in room direct above router,not saying on same ring but like i said i get 27 28 mb instead of 100.
Each floor probably has its own ring main, not necessarily so, but most likely. IME they do not like being on different rings.

might be worth getting a third party mesh router, that's what I have done. means you can have router both upstairs and downstairs, gives better wifi around house but each normally have ethernet sockets as well so can plug boxes into them. Means no need to run cat cable all around the house

might be worth getting a third party mesh router, that's what I have done. means you can have router both upstairs and downstairs, gives better wifi around house but each normally have ethernet sockets as well so can plug boxes into them. Means no need to run cat cable all around the house
I recommend this option too, I purchased some TP-LINK TP Deco P9 , you get three units and create a network around the house, no complaints since. and you get ethernet sockets to plug things in too.

I got the TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Twin Pack from argos it is down to £71.99 now
best thing i ever did homplugs were ok but these are far better.

I recommend this option too, I purchased some TP-LINK TP Deco P9 , you get three units and create a network around the house, no complaints since. and you get ethernet sockets to plug things in too.
I got the TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Twin Pack from argos it is down to £71.99 now
best thing i ever did homplugs were ok but these are far better.
I have the M4's like you both said, best thing I ever did (well network related) , no wifi blind spots, boxes can plug into them via cAt cable and no drop in speeds etc

Hello All
Thanks For your time
amazon cat 5e

WiFi , even mesh, is only one step above powerline/homeplugs
There is NO substitute for hardwired if you can do it, even with some difficulty.
It will be worth it in the long run.

WiFi , even mesh, is only one step above powerline/homeplugs
There is NO substitute for hardwired if you can do it, even with some difficulty.
It will be worth it in the long run.
totally agree, hardwire is the best, but running 15m of cat cable is not always practical and for most wifi would be good enough

Exactly, if it was practical.
It's always practical,
It like asking if something can be done, of course it can, it just depends on cost and time,
Anyone that ever says something cannot be done either doesn't know how to do it, or cannot be bothered.
It's all about "reasonably practical" , ie, cost Vs benefit.

as for the OP , if he (she) is anywhere near me I will make them a cable up FOC if they want.

Back