Which ethernet Cat type and best place to purchase?

davnav

Hello All

I'm going to cable from downstairs to upstairs 15m run, which cable type is better Cat 6 or 6a
Can somebody point me in the right direction to purchase as lots of mixed reviews

Thanks

Cat5e is more than good enough for home networks
I have yet to see a DIY install (and some "professional") of cat6 that is even cat6 compliant, so negating any supposed gain anyway.
Cat6 is a pain to terminate, and bending radius is massive compared to cat5e
Cat5e is good for 95m

I bought a reel of Cat 6A when I upgraded my home network thinking that I was future proofing.
It is much bigger than Cat 5 and I couldn't terminate normal RJ45 plugs on it.
I ended up putting sockets on the ends with patch leads and I haven't noticed any appreciable speed increase.

I bought a reel of Cat 6A when I upgraded my home network thinking that I was future proofing.
It is much bigger than Cat 5 and I couldn't terminate normal RJ45 plugs on it.
I ended up putting sockets on the ends with patch leads and I haven't noticed any appreciable speed increase.
No normal person will notice a difference in speed,
Cat5e can carry more speed than most people's equipment can handle,
Plus, (not having a go at you personally) , I very much doubt you have terminated it correctly, most people don't even terminate cat5e correctly.

No normal person will notice a difference in speed,
Cat5e can carry more speed than most people's equipment can handle,
Plus, (not having a go at you personally) , I very much doubt you have terminated it correctly, most people don't even terminate cat5e correctly.
100% correct, most people equipment will only run at 10/100

I'm an ex-BT engineer so still got my philex-insertion-tool and cabled and setup the network in a school as part of my uni HNC course in computer science so pretty confident I have done it correctly (y)

I'm an ex-BT engineer so still got my philex-insertion-tool and cabled and setup the network in a school as part of my uni HNC course in computer science so pretty confident I have done it correctly (y)
I don't mean the punching bud, I mean the stripped back and bending of the cable and twisting.
We tested a brand new high end office block a couple of years ago and failed about 98% of terminations, our TDR almost gave up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ,

i havent seen anything run at 10 for years. lots of equipment will run at 1000 easily nowadays short runs (up to 300 feet) will be ok with cat 5e
Cat5e is good at 1000 on runs well over 200m
It's just not verified for anything over 100, and that's really only 95m as they allow 2.5m each end for patching.
Short runs,? Most houses (and offices) don't have runs over 20-30m ,

Glad I had a read of this thread as I was considering asking about bandwidth etc on these different cables and how it correlates to speeds etc. I'm a simple creature so '5e is good enough for home networks' works for me! (y)

Glad I had a read of this thread as I was considering asking about bandwidth etc on these different cables and how it correlates to speeds etc. I'm a simple creature so '5e is good enough for home networks' works for me! (y)
But if you are doing a new install from scratch why put outdated standards in? Most people here who are saying you won’t see a difference are right, but only because their internal equipment can’t handle it.

File sizes aren’t getting smaller.

Back