Which ethernet Cat type and best place to purchase?

Cat5e is good at 1000 on runs well over 200m
It's just not verified for anything over 100, and that's really only 95m as they allow 2.5m each end for patching.
Short runs,? Most houses (and offices) don't have runs over 20-30m ,
does it show that i used to install in offices supermarkets and prisons??

But if you are doing a new install from scratch why put outdated standards in?

I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not. If it wasn't then my answer to that is 'I'm not'.

I was interested as at some point I'd like to increase the speed I have at the moment which is around 76mb. So it was more a case of whether I'd need to change cables too, which having read this thread I won't need to.

I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not. If it wasn't then my answer to that is 'I'm not'.

I was interested as at some point I'd like to increase the speed I have at the moment which is around 76mb. So it was more a case of whether I'd need to change cables too, which having read this thread I won't need to.
It requires no more work though, you have 76mb now what will you have in 10 years and why should you then run a new cable in? Pick cat 6 and you won’t need to.

It requires no more work though, you have 76mb now what will you have in 10 years and why should you then run a new cable in? Pick cat 6 and you won’t need to.
Rubbish,
Do you seriously think equipment will outspeed cat5e in even 20 years,?
That's like thinking everyone will be driving De'Loreans by then
And cat 6 requires a LOAD more work,
I'd guess about over 95% of cat6 installs I go to FAIL cat6 certification,
Thus negating any benefit they may think they were gaining.

So it's a waste of time and money for most people.

Of course it requires more work. I've got a router on the middle floor and cables running all over the shop. 15m here 20m there. I hate running cables. In 10 years time I doubt I'll have speeds in excess of 5e if I'm honest. I can't see the logic in upgrading something now when I don't need to. Besides, in 10 years I'll probably go for cat 7 or 8 :-P

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rubbish,

i agree i wth you , whilst massive speeds are possible already the equipment costs far outweigh the benefits on android or hybrid boxes. and really high speeds are less important than consistent smooth speeds.

Rubbish,

I wouldn’t do an install on old standards, 90% of the work is pulling the cable. Cat 6a to a faceplate, what extra work are you talking about it’s pretty simple.

I wouldn’t do an install on old standards, 90% of the work is pulling the cable. Cat 6a to a faceplate, what extra work are you talking about it’s pretty simple.
Bending radius on cat6 is ridiculous,
and it takes about 3 times longer to terminate, plus it won't fit into a standard 25mm back box.
Then there is the price of a meter to verify it, they are crazy expensive, it's a lot even to just hire a very basic one.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cat5e for most situations, and most people could install cat5e to an acceptable standard .
Very few, if any, DIYers could install cat6 properly, I've seen a lot of professionals get it wrong.
Saying it's an old standard is like saying nobody should have an internal combustion engine car ,
Having new technology doesn't automatically make older stuff obsolete

and it takes about 3 times longer to terminate, plus it won't fit into a standard 25mm back box.
Then there is the price of a meter to verify it, they are crazy expensive, it's a lot even to just hire a very basic one.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cat5e for most situations, and most people could install cat5e to an acceptable standard .
Very few, if any, DIYers could install cat6 properly, I've seen a lot of professionals get it wrong.
Saying it's an old standard is like saying nobody should have an internal combustion engine car ,
What if you shield the cable before running it, does that not minimise the risk? Asking because I was actually looking at installing ethernet in each room lol

What if you shield the cable before running it, does that not minimise the risk? Asking because I was actually looking at installing ethernet in each room lol
Not sure what you mean by shielding it, you can buy shielded cable, but I've never seen any domestic network equipment with shielding terminals.
Just run normal UTP cat5e ,

Like a protective sleeving especially when pulling through the walls. Kind of like a trunking used underground to protect when digging. Obviously would need something alot thinner than that to pull through the walls lol

Like a protective sleeving especially when pulling through the walls. Kind of like a trunking used underground to protect when digging. Obviously would need something alot thinner than that to pull through the walls lol
Yes, for sure if you are putting it through walls or such like you should use a piece of conduit, 16 or 20mm , although 16mm isn't generally widely available, 20mm will be off the shelf almost anywhere.

I’m not saying it’s obsolete just that 90% of your work is in the cabling so in my mind it makes more sense to use cat6. With the modern connectors I would say cat6 isn’t too traumatic with the punchdown types now but as you say for home you are not going to certify so there’s a risk you might fall back to cat 5 and have to rectify.

I’m not saying it’s obsolete just that 90% of your work is in the cabling so in my mind it makes more sense to use cat6. With the modern connectors I would say cat6 isn’t too traumatic with the punchdown types now but as you say for home you are not going to certify so there’s a risk you might fall back to cat 5 and have to rectify.
Have you ever actually installed cat6,?
And what would be the point in the extra time and expense if it won't actually make a difference,? In fact, installed incorrectly it will perform worse than cat5e, that is why it has to be tested, to ensure it is working correctly, and not worse than a cheaper and easier solution.
That's why I always recommend domestic and small offices to keep using cat5e, and not to waste money on something that will make absolutely no difference to them.

Have you ever actually installed cat6,?
And what would be the point in the extra time and expense if it won't actually make a difference,? In fact, installed incorrectly it will perform worse than cat5e, that is why it has to be tested, to ensure it is working correctly, and not worse than a cheaper and easier solution.
That's why I always recommend domestic and small offices to keep using cat5e, and not to waste money on something that will make absolutely no difference to them.
Yes I have, for work and I done the house in it. For most people it makes no difference from the off because their equipment is only Gigabit

Taking a bit of care with your install and with some of the decent branded connectors cat6a not as hard as people make out.

It’s an opinion we are going round in circles, I just wouldn’t build for the right now I’d futureproof it like BT should have been doing 20 years ago instead of still putting copper lines into new builds.

Has the standards changed for cat5, as when I done my cicso it was 150m ?
For cat5e it's been 95m for at least 20years, it's actually 100m, but they allow 5m for terminations,
In the real world I've seen runs of the full 305m with no negative effects
That's using B terminations, I have no idea what A is, I'd imagine it's shorter.

Back