Which router for iptv

Hi need a new router too much lag and as we are running approx 9 devices it not streaming iptv the best.

Can anyone recommend a router?
Connection will be wired into the mag 254 box, but was we connect multiple devices causes issues as only have 30mb connection into the apartment.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what you are saying here, along with what you said on the the other post regarding your MAG Device.
30mb split 9x ways in a house & using IPTV is going to be tough, no matter what router you buy now.
I would try and get hold of a Router that you can Manage the bandwidth getting used. This way you could allocate each device a specific speed or usage, and give more to the MAG Device than say the kids I-PAD. Give them 1MB roughly each, and what's left is passed to the MAG Device. You would need a Specific Router for this, something like this would do: TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300MBPS WIRELESS N CABLE ROUTER
Or: wireless N access points TL-WA801ND

Consumer grade WiFi routers typically don't have bandwidth allocation capabilities, You can usually only set QoS priorities on them.
Have a look here and see if this helps
https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-417.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
From what you are saying here, along with what you said on the the other post regarding your MAG Device.
30mb split 9x ways in a house & using IPTV is going to be tough, no matter what router you buy now.
I would try and get hold of a Router that you can Manage the bandwidth getting used. This way you could allocate each device a specific speed or usage, and give more to the MAG Device than say the kids I-PAD. Give them 1MB roughly each, and what's left is passed to the MAG Device. You would need a Specific Router for this, something like this would do: TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300MBPS WIRELESS N CABLE ROUTER
Or: wireless N access points TL-WA801ND

Consumer grade WiFi routers typically don't have bandwidth allocation capabilities, You can usually only set QoS priorities on them.
Have a look here and see if this helps
https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-417.html

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your detailed response and links.
We currently have 2 routers in our apartment. I am lead to believe if I connect to different access points in the apartment I still get 30mb at each socket.
I was thinking of running one router just on the mag box and we use the other router for just other devices.
Could this be a solution?
Issue is router that is linked to mag is very basic and keeps dropping the connection.

Hi need a new router too much lag and as we are running approx 9 devices it not streaming iptv the best.
Connection will be wired into the mag 254 box, but was we connect multiple devices causes issues as only have 30mb connection into the apartment.

We currently have 2 routers in our apartment. I am lead to believe if I connect to different access points in the apartment I still get 30mb at each socket.
I was thinking of running one router just on the mag box and we use the other router for just other devices.
Could this be a solution?
Issue is router that is linked to mag is very basic and keeps dropping the connection.

I am confused by your second post. If there is only a single line from an ISP into your apartment, at 30mbps, it doesn't matter how many routers or access points you have in the apartment, they will all share the 30mbps pipe, so to speak.

If you just want the mag box to have the highest quality signal for streaming, short of connecting it directly to the ISP router with an ethernet cable, a set of homeplugs with one plugged into the ISP's router and the other plugged into the mag box is likely your best bet.

Am not sure why you have/want two routers in the apartment, whether it is for vpn, or wifi signal extension etc. That function should influence your choice of a replacement router if you need one, unless it "drops connection" because e.g. it is connected wirelessly to the ISP router and the signal it receives is not great in the first place, then you should cure that instead, by e.g. again using a set of homeplugs to connect the ISP router to the second router.

Homeplugs are cheap, for streaming HD streams something like this is perfectly adequate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KKEZ8NY/

Cheers!

I am confused by your second post. If there is only a single line from an ISP into your apartment, at 30mbps, it doesn't matter how many routers or access points you have in the apartment, they will all share the 30mbps pipe, so to speak.

If you just want the mag box to have the highest quality signal for streaming, short of connecting it directly to the ISP router with an ethernet cable, a set of homeplugs with one plugged into the ISP's router and the other plugged into the mag box is likely your best bet.

Am not sure why you have/want two routers in the apartment, whether it is for vpn, or wifi signal extension etc. That function should influence your choice of a replacement router if you need one, unless it "drops connection" because e.g. it is connected wirelessly to the ISP router and the signal it receives is not great in the first place, then you should cure that instead, by e.g. again using a set of homeplugs to connect the ISP router to the second router.

Homeplugs are cheap, for streaming HD streams something like this is perfectly adequate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KKEZ8NY/

Cheers!

Thanks again for your response. Yes one line comes into apartment which goes to the isp router which is somewhere in the apartment but this then feeds all the cat5 sockets.
I have plugged my WiFi router into the one of thee sockets then plugged the mag box into the WiFi router using cat5 cable.
So what you are saying is plug the mag box directly into the apartment cat5 socket and no need to plug into my WiFi router? Can you please confirm this is what you mean.

Thanks again for your response. Yes one line comes into apartment which goes to the isp router which is somewhere in the apartment but this then feeds all the cat5 sockets.
I have plugged my WiFi router into the one of thee sockets then plugged the mag box into the WiFi router using cat5 cable.
So what you are saying is plug the mag box directly into the apartment cat5 socket and no need to plug into my WiFi router? Can you please confirm this is what you mean.

I forgot to mention. I am not resident in the uk but UAE.

So what you are saying is plug the mag box directly into the apartment cat5 socket and no need to plug into my WiFi router?

Yes, especially if other devices are also making use of that router, or if that router is flaky.

But as implied by mbull already, there is a total of 30mbps max coming in, and if it has to be shared by 9 devices, and if they make more demand than that then you might run into problem unless you are able to allocate bandwidth.

Back