Which VU+ 4K Satellite Box ? Need advice please.

Currently have a zGemma H2s box but wish to upgrade to one of the VU+ 4k boxes however am a little confused which is the one I should go fo?

So firstly I know the Ultimo is the best but it's pretty expensive so I have been looking at the Uno4KSE and Solo 4K.

My requirements are pretty straight forwards as follows:
- Needs to be responsive (no key press lag)
- Two LND inputs
- USALS support for my motorised 1m dish
- Recording of multiple channels at same time
- Capable of customising look and feel (which I know these boxes are)
- IPTV
- HDD tray (might not use but good to have)
- Smart card reader (or whatever they are called?)
- External NAS support for recordings

I know both of these boxes will do the points mentioned but which is better and what essentially is the difference between them? I like to call myself a bit of a tinkerer with linux systems therefore want something that I can play around with and customise but also performs solidly.

Thanks in advance for any advice / guidance.

TBH I use a duo2 and an ultimo 4k but I feel the 4k side of things on the ultimo is a bit of a waste as there is nothing to watch in 4k.All vu boxes are good so which ever one you buy you will love it and a different league to a H2s..A few people I know use the solo 4k and they are good boxes,not sure about the uno4k never seen one.

TBH I use a duo2 and an ultimo 4k but I feel the 4k side of things on the ultimo is a bit of a waste as there is nothing to watch in 4k.All vu boxes are good so which ever one you buy you will love it and a different league to a H2s..A few people I know use the solo 4k and they are good boxes,not sure about the uno4k never seen one.
Thanks. Just struggling to really understand the difference of the Uno4kSe vs Solo4k as their website is not that clear as to the real difference.

Solo has standard type tuners.

Uno has the newer FBC tuners, so one tuner will allow recording of up to 8 channels.
Processor is faster too.

Solo has standard type tuners.

Uno has the newer FBC tuners, so one tuner will allow recording of up to 8 channels.
That's what I thought but then the VU+ Solo4k page at http://www.vuplus.com/sub/sub0113.php says

Vu+ team has been working with careful thought about choosing the right solution for the valuable users of Vu+ which could make the cutting-edge technology of Dual FBC(Full Band Capture) Tuner enables you to enjoy with variety channels up to 8 satellite signals. Nobody can deny that Vu+ SOLO 4K has more than enough to gratify your desire to have more choices.

Solo 4k have FBC tuners same as Uno 4k. The none 4k models have standard tuners.

Looks like the only difference is solo 4k has an additional tuner option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, my mistake, looked at the one and it's not the 4K model. Both have FBC tuners.

Processor speed is slightly slower, although I use a 1300Mhz and it's plenty quick enough for me.

Wonder what the price difference is

Oh yes, my mistake, looked at the one and it's not the 4K model. Both have FBC tuners.

Processor speed is slightly slower, although I use a 1300Mhz and it's plenty quick enough for me.

Wonder what the price difference is

The Solo 4K is around £60-£80 more expensive depending on where you shop from what I have seen.

Uno 4kSE maybe your best option but have a look in the for sale section on here a member is selling his Uno4k for £140 but Uno4k doesnt have HDD slot. Edit thats DVB-C

Hi Mate

Is there any reason you are after a vu+ model mate and not something like a gigablue or even the mut@nt? The additional cost of the VU is in large part due to the FBC tuner, chances are you would need to replace the lnb to get the benefit. I also question the value of FBC on a motor as scheduling lots of recordings will leave you stuck at a particular position until they are completed.

Those other models include tuners with multi stream support for the french and italian stuff at 5 and 12w. They are also DVB2SX which doesn't count for much now but the occasional channel is starting to pop up

cheers

Back