Who is the best player you've ever seen.

Who is the best player you've ever seen, either at a game in person or live on TV? (So not someone before your time you've seen footage of)

Been lucky enough to see my fair share in person and top of my list would be Iniesta or Pirlo.

I've seen Messi and Ronaldo in person, those are probably the best players I've seen live although they didn't necessarily play that phenomenally in the games that I saw them. Players who've stood out as a class above in matches I've seen are Bergkamp, Henry, Van Persie, Shearer... I always thought Dwight Yorke was class and very underrated.

Those 2 just made th game look so easy and never wasted the ball at all while controlling the whole game. TV wise I'd have to say Romario or Maradona (not in his prime unfortunately)

George Best although well past his prime was still exceptional when he played for the Hibs.

An absolute magician. One of my favourite clips of him is a goal where he dances past defenders till one virtually snaps him in half, yet he stays on his feet and goes on to score. Must have been hard as nails to play with the flair he did in the days where punishment from opposing players could be brutal.

I've seen Messi and Ronaldo in person, those are probably the best players I've seen live although they didn't necessarily play that phenomenally in the games that I saw them. Players who've stood out as a class above in matches I've seen are Bergkamp, Henry, Van Persie, Shearer... I always thought Dwight Yorke was class and very underrated.
Messi is phenomenal, seen him live as well. Ronaldo I just don't like, his goal scoring record is phenomenal but I just can't stand him.

Messi is phenomenal, seen him live as well. Ronaldo I just don't like, his goal scoring record is phenomenal but I just can't stand him.

No I'm not a fan of his by any stretch - but in his latter time at United he was immense, unplayable.

George Best although well past his prime was still exceptional when he played for the Hibs.
Same here seen him for Hibs playing against Celtic, well past his best, also seen him a few times for N-Ireland in the later half of the seventies including his last ever international game against Holland on 1977, a game in which if N-Ireland would have won, then they were of to Argentina for the 78 world cup finals, however they lost a tight game 0-1 and George was substituted late in the game.

No I'm not a fan of his by any stretch - but in his latter time at United he was immense, unplayable.
I think it's the "me me me" about him that I can't stand. Even mavericks like Maradona, Messi, Henry and for me Larsson as well, they are all team players. Would always pass to someone in a better position than them to score but for Ronaldo it's like he has to be one scoring or he spits the dummy's out.

Been many in my time.

Ronaldo at United was sublime.
Messi on a whole complete different level.

Then we have genuies like Inesita, Scholes, Pirlo on the ball.

There have been too many greats over last 30 years.

I think it's the "me me me" about him that I can't stand. Even mavericks like Maradona, Messi, Henry and for me Larsson as well, they are all team players. Would always pass to someone in a better position than them to score but for Ronaldo it's like he has to be one scoring or he spits the dummy's out.

No doubt he has always been and is selfish.

But he is an all time great.

A player once in a life time same with messi imo

It could be said that it's his arrogance that's made him the player he is. Not exactly endearing especially when he's shared an era with an equally great player in Messi who's so humble and unassuming.

No doubt he has always been and is selfish.

But he is an all time great.

A player once in a life time same with messi imo
Like I said mate can't argue with his talent and record but can honestly say I wouldn't have him in any all time 11 just for the things I mentioned.

Seen Messi 3 times playing against Celtic, first time he was only coming through and came on as a sub in a 3-2 win for Barca, where Thierry Henry put in a master class performance, 2nd time was when he was more established and scored on a unforgettable night for Celts as we got a 2-1 win, 3rd time was in the pre season internationals cup at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin a few years ago, he only played the 1st half, but played well in a 3-1 Barca win

It could be said that it's his arrogance that's made him the player he is. Not exactly endearing especially when he's shared an era with an equally great player in Messi who's so humble and unassuming.
To be fair if you're going to be arrogant you have to back it up and his record speaks for itself. Can't be someone like Nicolas Bendtner claiming you're the best player in the world :ROFLMAO:

Showing my age here lol The legend that was Davie Cooper!
Great player he was, god rest him, seen him play quite a few times, being a celt, I always feared him, so skilful on the ball and a down to earth fella into the bargain, just a pity he played for the wrong team in Glasgow, heh, heh, only joking garyth.

Great player he was, god rest him, seen him play quite a few times, being a celt, I always feared him, so skilful on the ball and a down to earth fella into the bargain, just a pity he played for the wrong team in Glasgow, heh, heh, only joking garyth.

Lol. See the type of player I see posted most on here are quick and generally glide past the player once, twice at a push. My man however would take great pleasure in turning a man inside out 4/5 times but the game has changed now.

Seen loads of talent live but the best by far for me and I hate to admit it bcuz I can't stand him was suarez, his off the ball movement is a joke, he really is one of the best to play up top imo

Seen loads of talent live but the best by far for me and I hate to admit it bcuz I can't stand him was suarez, his off the ball movement is a joke, he really is one of the best to play up top imo

Ye despise that fekker.

But no doubt he was an awesome striker in the premier league.

World cup 82 Michelle Platini
Juniniho 1997 Middlesbrough
seen live.

Last edited:
Back