Wifi hotspot antennas .

chenzo

Hi ..

I am looking for some advice from the techies we have here . I've got a caravan permanently sited with free WiFi on site, the problem is the signal is terrible and I am only approx 100 metres away from the source . I have seen a variety of antennas on ebay / amazon ranging from £12 to £40 and up to £150
.. .. any advice , tips and links would be really appreciated .. cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Its not so much your antenna but the signal strengh from the broadcast router. try looking for a Wi-FI antenna with a signal booster as this should be able to capture the signal and then boost it but also make sure you can send data back to the broadcast router too so a decent antenna will do.

If there are others on the site getting decent connection then look at what they have and buy the same as its works for them.

Its not so much your antenna but the signal strengh from the broadcast router. try looking for a Wi-FI antenna with a signal booster as this should be able to capture the signal and then boost it but also make sure you can send data back to the broadcast router too so a decent antenna will do.

If there are others on the site getting decent connection then look at what they have and buy the same as its works for them.
Do you have a specific one in mind from eBay/amazon that you mention please .. is it like this ?
High Power long range USB WiFi antenna and booster for caravan and boat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BBU7BNM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_0S6hxb6D77JE3
Or even this .. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161959467605&alt=web
I'm not sure if they are the same but just packaged differently

Yea like them, get the cheaper one and make sure you unpack it very carefully so if its no good you can send it back, lol

Try popping into Maplins and speak to them, see what they have too and then look for it cheaper online

some antennas require a booster to sit between them and the 'receiver' - connected via usb to the receiver, ive never found them to work that well, if at all. whether its user error (more than probable) or trying to use a windows based application via an enigma based receiver, ive never found out. however do a few searches on here and you will find a way to access on the campsite using other methods

some antennas require a booster to sit between them and the 'receiver' - connected via usb to the receiver, ive never found them to work that well, if at all. whether its user error (more than probable) or trying to use a windows based application via an enigma based receiver, ive never found out. however do a few searches on here and you will find a way to access on the campsite using other methods
Thanks ..I'm now intrigued .. can your point me in the right direction to look on here

Yea like them, get the cheaper one and make sure you unpack it very carefully so if its no good you can send it back, lol

Try popping into Maplins and speak to them, see what they have too and then look for it cheaper online
Great advice Blackwidow .. cheers

When you go just outside the caravan what is the signal like?
It's not great tbh .. but when I am just outside the onsite office it's quite good.

It needs a booster/repeater

Not sure it will do any good on your end if the signal is not very good outside your caravan.

If this free wifi is part of your contract for living there then they need to boost the signal otherwise they are not providing a service which is agreed.

Back