Wii connection to my wireless router. Problems!!!

adammcd02

Hi guys,

I am having real problems connecting my Wii to my wireless router. Can anyone talk me through how to do this. I have followed the instructions booklet and also the Nintendo online instructions but to no avail. When i'm searching for a connection with my Wii my router is never showing up on screen. I know it will probably be something basic, but i'm not the best at these things, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

well im no expert but, i do know that with the wii you have to be on certain channels on your router to pick it up - im sure the lads will corect me but i think channels 6 and 11 are two of them. try changing your router to that to see if it picks up -or you can add your ssid manually and then pick it up if it wont do it automatically also is your connection hidden - if so you wont find it

Hi adammcd02
Im only in for a minute
Whats your firmware on your wii
Are parental controls on or off
Press the wii symbol in the corner and go to settings
goto internet and run a connection test to see if you can find a wireless access point
You may have to also on your pc network allow access for the wii to the router

Yeah, i've tried the connection test a few times and it never finds my router. How would i go about allowing access for my wii on the router? Sorry, i have no idea what firmware i have on the wii.

Is it softmodded and if you click on the wii symbol on your main screen it will tell you in the top right corner what it is it will be a number like 3.2 or 4.1 etc

It's a version 4.2E. It is brand new out the box so has had no modifications done to it. My wireless router is a Netgear WGR614.

Its your router then,you will need to allow it to allow a connection,i am not familiar with that router but this might help,its a article from another source

Error Code: 51330

This error code usually indicates a problem relating to wireless security. Please try the following troubleshooting:

1.Are you using WEP or WPA security on your router?
Log into the router using the default IP (consult your router's manual for assistance)
Locate the "wireless security" section of your router settings and find the WEP or WPA key.
If you are using 64-bit encryption, the WEP Key must be a 10-character key consisting of numbers or letters A through F.
If you are using 128-bit encryption, the WEP Key must be a 26-character key consisting of numbers or letters A through F.
The WEP Key must be a Hexadecimal (0-9, A-F, no other special characters or letters).
If your router has multiple slots for a WEP Key, make sure the active key is the one in the #1 slot.
If you are using WPA, the Wii console is compatible with the following types:
WPA - PSK (TKIP)
WPA - PSK (AES)
WPA2 - PSK (AES)

2.If your WEP or WPA key is correct, then the problem might be related to MAC address filtering:
From the router settings, locate the "MAC address filter" settings (also known as "access control", "access list", or "network filter" depending on your router model).
If the Mac address filter is set to "enabled", then you must add the Wii's MAC address to the "allowed" list. You can locate the Wii's MAC address from the "console information" page (located under "Internet" in the Wii Settings).
If the Mac address filter was disabled, then continue troubleshooting.

3.Try adjusting the "Channel" your wireless router broadcasts on. We highly recommend setting your wireless router to either channel 1 or 11. This can potentially increase the download speed. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router (if available).

4.Check Nintendo's router info for special notes, if available, for your router.
Click here to go to our Wireless Router lookup page.
Use the drop-down box to select, if available, your router manufacturer.
Click on your router's model number, if available.
Read any "special notes" at the top of the router's page. Many issues can be solved by changing settings described in the "special notes."

5.Ensure that the router is set to broadcast in "mixed" or "b/g" mode. Routers set to "g only" may not be able to allow a successful connection from the Wii console. (The option to change this setting is typically found in the "Wireless" section of your router's settings. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router, if available.)

6.Try a "Manual Setup" with the Wii console (how to), using your network's IP configuration settings. To access these settings:
On your PC, click "Start" and then "Run."
Type "CMD" into the field that appears to open a new window.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press "Enter" to display a list of internet settings. Locate the settings asked for by the Wii console during the Manual Setup process and enter them.

7/Power cycle your router and modem by unplugging them both from the wall. Wait a few minutes, and plug the modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize, then turn on the router. Try to connect the Wii console online and test for proper response.

Back