Will England ever win the Football World Cup again?

channelking

Serious question because since 1966 we havent done much in the world cup.

Few quarter finals but nothing much.

Seeing england cricket team win the world cup last year for the first time ever was something special if I am being honest.

In my life time not sure if the footy team can win the big one.

With the young quality players we have at our disposal we should be up there with teams like Spain, Germany, France, Italy.

Hmmm... I'm sure they'll win it again one day. Lesser teams have won it in the time since England did.

When I look back at some of the squads they've had from '86 onwards I can't believe they haven't even come close.

Thats what I mean.

They had some great squads especially the "golden age" team where they flopped big time.

Media hype etc didnt help either.

Think Russia world cup was their chance and they blew it in the end.

Thats what I mean.

They had some great squads especially the "golden age" team where they flopped big time.

Media hype etc didnt help either.

Think Russia world cup was their chance and they blew it in the end.
Italy 1990 should have??

Last edited:
Ye but we choked on penalties as we always have.

That was one tournament that was in their hands.
yep gutted still
but was great music as well world cups not seemed same since then
new order for englands world cup record - world in motion
and that bbc theme tune was classic

the golden generation was always a myth and an insult to 96-98 group of players that preceded it

for all the hype they played a lumpen 442 where weak managers crowbarred scholes into the left wing and lampard into a CDM in an attempt to appease the egos of gerrard and lampard. scoles was a 9/10 CM and lampard a 9/10 ACM but both were 6/10 out left and playing deep respectively. they had paul ******* robinson in goal.

the dearth of strikers was also telling. owen was a busted flush by 2004, but rooney was an absolute beast moving into his prime. but beyond that? darrius vassel, heskey and peter crouch. they actually started the 2006 world cup playing a 6'7" big man with a 5'10" little man with a 4-4-2.

criminally they failed to develop beckham into the centre pin of that team, preferring to shoehorn gerrard and lampard into the same team. both those players got 90 odd caps, in reality only one of them should, the other shoud have gotten half that.

they didnt even qualify for the 2008 euros. yet they call themselves the golden generation.

96-98 england had venenbles and hoddle who played innovative systems that exploited the strengths of the players.

midfielders who graced that era: ince, platt and gascoigne who graced serie a - what was by far the toughest league in the world. macmanaman who would score in champions league final for real madrid, redknapp, scholes , beckham, anderton, merton, batty.

forwards who played that era: sherigham, shearer, owen, wright, fowler, cole, ferdinand, collymore, le tissier, sutton all 25-30 goals a season men.

and venables and hoddle did it with nuance and panache.

so don't give me it that the proletariate anachromistic nepotism-dogged, 442, big man/little man, paul ******* robinson, patchwork quilt of a team of 2004-8 was a golden generation after the sides that played in the late 90s. its like comparing a sculptor such as michelangeo to a polish panel beater.

Back