Will I benefit in using a zone 2 sky dish in the Midlands area ?

Atari2600

This ones probably for the satellite experts / engineers

I'm going to get sky Q installed and I have been reading that to potentially get a stronger signal, I should get a zone 2 sky dish?

From what I have been reading, zone 2 dish are normally used further up north (Scotland, Ireland, North Yorkshire etc) as they tend to have weaker signal strength compared to Midlands and the south.

I have been speaking to a friend of a friend who is a sky engineer manager and I asked him about getting a zone 2 dish and his response was ....

"Your right they do but doesn't always mean better, more signal and more power will actually cause the box to crash or causes spikes in signal. they are bigger up north because the signal is weaker and needs to be bigger no other reason and because its gives you the right signal you dont get the spikes. Bigger doesn't always mean better, its all about quality, as long as you're initial signal strength is NsMr dB 7
Then you are perfectly fine"

I'm not so sure now after his response, I agree with him that it's all about quality but surely signal strength has a part to play too?

I know signal strength varies from transponder to transponder (some signal strength will be higher / lower than others) but I want to make sure all the transponder signal strength are more or less equivalent and nothing is below 7

You're thoughts please ?

Thanks guys

Sky will provide a suitable dish for Sky Q. You won't need a zone 2 dish for the midlands I'm sure.
If you have other freesat boxes you will need to ask for a hybrid LNB.

Sky will provide a suitable dish for Sky Q. You won't need a zone 2 dish for the midlands I'm sure.
If you have other freesat boxes you will need to ask for a hybrid LNB.

Hey willow

Hope you're well

According to friend of a friend engineer
Sky will provide zone 1 dish as this what is used in the Midlands

However - he did say the above message regarding asking for a zone 2 dish and if I really wanted a zone 2 dish , then he could ask the question and drop a zone 2 dish to me for the sky engineer to do the install
But it's pointless ?????

He said it could potentially cause more harm than good (in a sense of - signal spikes, to much of a high signal strength etc)

Im not sure wether he 100% knew what he was talking about so this is why I thought I'd come on here and ask the question to experience guys

So what you think willow ?
is it pointless me asking for a zone 2 dish as i will not gain anything ??

I live in the East Midlands and I put up a zone 2 dish when the old zone 1 sky dish started to show it's age.
I don't see any advantage or disadvantage with it. My signal strength is no better or worse.

A bigger dish requires more accurate alignment due to the parabolic being more confined

That wouldn't be an issue as I can borrow a friend's SM3 (Sly master 3 )

BUT if there is no benefit in getting a zone 2 dish then it's pointless going through all of this

That wouldn't be an issue as I can borrow a friend's SM3 (Sly master 3 )

BUT if there is no benefit in getting a zone 2 dish then it's pointless going through all of this
You could use a bigger dish and put LNBs on it for 19e & 13e ,
No additional benefit for just 28e.

Back