Windows 7 Windows 7 - Bootup Problems

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi,

I am trying to fix my nieces laptop, she was complaining about popups and laptop being dreadfully slow. Seems like a virus. For some reason i cannot be able to get beyond the Windows 7 Starting Windows Screen and then i hit an error. This has been shown in the images below;

DPAeqzX.jpg

Can anyone please assist me - i am trying to recover the files and pictures from the laptop and then do a complete fresh install.

I've tried the following;

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

But it doesn't even detect an OS.

xDUISbQ.jpg

7c38uTN.jpg

C: drive is showing as RAW, OS is not reading the drive - can anyone assist here?

have you tried entering windows recovery? the one that windows makes a partition for?

checked that you are loading the right hdd in bios?

If you've tried all that, maybe remove the hdd install in onto your computer and run a virus scan on it as well as malware

also check the disk for errors

if all else fails, its probably best to cut your losses and do a fresh install, ijust ones of those things :/

have you tried entering windows recovery? the one that windows makes a partition for?

Yes - no change nor does it fix anything

checked that you are loading the right hdd in bios?

Will double check that - probably worth loading the default settings.

If you've tried all that, maybe remove the hdd install in onto your computer and run a virus scan on it as well as malware?

I dont have a caddy to install it another computer. Not even my laptop.

also check the disk for errors

It comes up as healthy in the image shown. However niece was complaining about slowness and popups etc - so most likely they will be errors on disk.

if all else fails, its probably best to cut your losses and do a fresh install, ijust ones of those things :/

It would be helpful if it allowed me to run a new OS install - it's that dreadfully slow/non responsive it takes the mick!

Please see replies to your questions above.

Can you install knoppix rip the files you need then boot from a fresh windows disc

Can you install knoppix rip the files you need then boot from a fresh windows disc

Knoppix? Is this something i can boot from USB and then do whatever with it? I came across this as well Lucid Puppy method to recover files from non bootable computer.

I'm at work at the moment so any testing will have to be done in the evening. But keep the advice/solutions/recommendations coming.

Thank you.

Knoppix is a live linux boot CD so the os is all on the disc, I used it to grab some photos etc off a corrupted windows PC a while back. Worked a treat for me as just dragged everything off on to a usb.

Knoppix is a live linux boot CD so the os is all on the disc, I used it to grab some photos etc off a corrupted windows PC a while back. Worked a treat for me as just dragged everything off on to a usb.

Sweet - sounds like a plan to me. Do you have any documentation of what to do? Or is it fairly easy for a noob to get cracking and start recovering stuff off the RAW Internal HDD?

Was pretty straight forward from what I remember. This might help.... You can use Knoppix to rescue your data …: Step 2 - You can use Knoppix to rescue your data to external storage - YouTube

Awesome. Will try this out later on in the evening. I'll give my findings and your solution a try and report back. So when it comes to installing Windows OS again i think its best done from USB instead of disk isn't it? Even with the HDD being in RAW format will i still be able to install OS?

Up to you using a USB or disc tbh, you'll be asked to format the raw partition to NTFS I'd imagine mate when you start the fresh windows install, good luck and hope ya get it sorted.

Up to you using a USB or disc tbh, you'll be asked to format the raw partition to NTFS I'd imagine mate when you start the fresh windows install, good luck and hope ya get it sorted.

I'll keep you updated on progress made :) Feel slightly more confident now

Hi I've tried the Knoppix CD & Lucy Puppy Method of recovering the stuff off the HDD but no luck. When I try installing windows os again it doesn't respond to anything just get a blank screen. So I guess I'll have to use windows repair disk command prompt in and list the disks and try formatting it from there if its possible?

I've just gone for the option of reformatting it and installing new OS on the laptop HDD. So i followed these steps;

Format a hard drive with Command Prompt

[video=youtube;8TQ1RpToSsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TQ1RpToSsk[/video]

Was just proving difficult to get the C: Drive that was in a RAW format responding to anything - so looks like the only way forward was to format the disk then rebuild and now it is installing Windows 8.1 64 bit
PROGRESS! It'll teach the niece to use online storage like dropbox or google drive now.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a new HDD off Amazon - £31 brand new. Laptop works fine now. Old HDD was just being a pain in the ass, the new windows installation got corrupt as well lol

But glad to say the laptop is now working - Phew!

Thanks for the time & advice guys. Awesome TK'ers

Back