Windows 7 Windows 7: Failure to configure updates - reverting changes (loop)

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hello,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1 on a new SSD blank drive. Works a treat, however when it comes to installing updates, it's downloading them, but when you shutdown the computer and it tries to configure the updates when PC is started up it keeps prompting me "failure to configure windows updates - reverting changes"

v0xEKVI.jpg

Is there a way of resolving this? I've tried the stopping of services for Windows Updates and restarting them, changing the value from 1 to 0 in the reg editor. Still no luck.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone.

Thanks in advance.
j4v3d

Have a read of this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949358

Chances are there is an update that clashes with another update resulting in the failure, pick the 5 oldest updates first then then work forward in time 5 updates at a time to the newest so they install in order they were released. Its the slower way but should help you narrow down which update is failing if any. If you do come across this issue you know which 5 updates contains the bad up, then you can install 1 at a time for those 5 updates until you come across the update that wont install then just bypass then and install all over updates then try the "bad" update last, if still no joy then hide this update.

Have a read of this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949358

Chances are there is an update that clashes with another update resulting in the failure, pick the 5 oldest updates first then then work forward in time 5 updates at a time to the newest so they install in order they were released. Its the slower way but should help you narrow down which update is failing if any. If you do come across this issue you know which 5 updates contains the bad up, then you can install 1 at a time for those 5 updates until you come across the update that wont install then just bypass then and install all over updates then try the "bad" update last, if still no joy then hide this update.

Will give that a go, there's like over 200 updates to install, so looks like i'll have to update 5 at a time till the bad one(s) are revealed. Plus it's a work computer so this could take a while LOL

Well the advantage of doing it slowing is its quicker in the long run, lol

If it fails on the first 5 updates then you need to re-install Windows as its corrupted at some point

have you tweaked win7 in any way?changing the services settings can do this.frankly though i would upgrade to win10.not had an issue since doing so,and i tweaked a lot of things on the upgrade.

Well the advantage of doing it slowing is its quicker in the long run, lol

If it fails on the first 5 updates then you need to re-install Windows as its corrupted at some point

I've left the chdsk running the C Drive at work, let's hope i dont go back to work on Monday to find the PC is toast lol

have you tweaked win7 in any way?changing the services settings can do this.frankly though i would upgrade to win10.not had an issue since doing so,and i tweaked a lot of things on the upgrade.

Not tweaked anything at all,. normal installation, installed software & drivers, updates installed fine, then the next batch of updates, there is one or more that keeps failing. If i keep hitting a brick wall I'll force it to W10 and see what happens.

Hi, try running this fixer from the Microsoft website. It worked for me. I cant post the link due to forum rules so Google Microsoft update fix ...

I've run the Windows Update Fix you said to download from the Microsoft website and it fixed a few recent updates but shows "Not Fixed" on these two here;

ZRmBTZr.png

Right, after installing updates one by one and multiple restarts, all updates have installed. Seems like the Windows Updates Fix It sorted out the updates.

D0oUGac.jpg

I would like to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 but have missed the deadline day.
There appears to be discs on ebay that will let me still do this, do they work? Will I lose any/some/all of my files if I try and do an upgrade?

I would like to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 but have missed the deadline day.
There appears to be discs on ebay that will let me still do this, do they work? Will I lose any/some/all of my files if I try and do an upgrade?
I believe there is an option to upgrade windows and keep files so only software is updated but you can backup files first anyway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back