Windows 7 Windows 7 share keeps reappearing

kaos_king

Hi peeps, i've got a little issue that I cant seem to fix. I had a share drive (F$) then somehow that got messed up, the drive was no longer shared but I couldnt assign that same name to it (it threw an error saying the name is already in use for this resource).

Any how, I used command prompt and the 'net share' command and I can see F$ there. If i delete it using net share, the next time I reboot its back there! How can I permanently delete the share?

I've searched google for a good while and can only find links like this one, but that doesnt solve this exact problem - Clicky.

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers guys

No they wern't there and I didnt try creating them as I dont want to blanket disable the shares, but I'll try it though and see what it does to the f$ share.

In the 'lanmanserver' reg location, there is a sub folder called 'shares' and that contains the other shares and printers etc but the f$ share isnt there :S

Just another thought,

If you click on "Computer" then choose "Tools" from the menu bar and finally choose "Map Network Drive" from the drop down menu, does F appear there? and does it have the check box for "Reconnect at logon" ticked?

Were the entries in your registry?

If not did you create them?
Right, I deleted the share using net share (It states that the drive is not shared in the gui so I can't delete it from there) and then I created the entries set to 0 and rebooted. Sure enough the share wasn't there in net share then, so I then deleted the enteries and rebooted and it reappeared.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

In the map network drive, did you mean the 'folder' drop down? If so there is nothing in there so I tried browsing for the folder and its not there either?

I meant here:

Net3.jpg

Your picture isn't appearing correctly because you are pasting it between URL TAGS.

The link for your picture needs to be pasted between img TAGS like so

Anyway, I was referring to the drop down containing the Z: drive in your picture.

F: doesnt appear there but thats because the shared drive in question is an external hard drive that has F: assigned to it so I'll not be able to map another share using that letter. Same way that C: doesnt appear in the list.

Just to clarify, im not sure if i've explained it well: the computer I am on is the one with the drive plugged into it, I am not trying to connect to the share I am trying to share it out ising the name 'f$' but it wont let me as it says it already in use, however the drive when you right click on it and properties and sharing, in there it states its not shared even when I click on the advanced button it isnt shared, however using 'net share' in command prompt it shows that f$ is assinged to F:. Now sure enough, if i try to connect to f$ from another machine I can connect to it, so it is shared, just not in the properties and I also cant stop it from sharing automatically each time I reboot. Sorry if you understood it first time, just thought I'd make sure.

Yeah i think that too, i've searched the registry with no luck and so I googled more and found the thread i linked to in the first post but the f$ share doesnt appear in that location in the registry or others i've found on the net so not sure what to do now.

Cheers for your replies up to now btw :)

F: doesnt appear there but thats because the shared drive in question is an external hard drive that has F: assigned to it so I'll not be able to map another share using that letter. Same way that C: doesnt appear in the list.

Can you un-assign the letter F: to that drive, Physically disconnect the external drive and reboot?

See what appears then.

OK i unassigned the letter and disconnected, rebooted and f$ didnt show with net share. I could also use net share to assign f$ to something else (i used c:\users as a test) and i could set it through what i call the gui (properties and then sharing) so all is well then. However if i then plug the drive in and boot it takes presidence and sets f$ to the F: drive again. Back to square one! :damn:

Is there any chance that the initial setup put a hidden file on the external HDD that's been read when you connect it?

Possible. I would assume that it is either a folder or file in the root of the drive however, even though i've got hidden files set to show there is nothing other than my files/folders.

Could possibly be somewhere on the C: drive or registry, its just how to look for it.

Check again in the GUI for mapped drives we discussed earlier and see if F is showing in the drive drop down list (not the folder pane)

Whatever caused the initial share to screw up has left a trace of something somewhere?

Have you any restore point not too far before this hole issue occurred?

Back