Windows 8 Released (Public Beta)

axxxo

VIP Member
windows-8-install-lede_1020_gallery_post_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

want to boldly install the downloadable public beta for yourself? Believe it or not, it's a pretty easy thing to do. You don't need to look up an arcane command to access your BIOS, you don't need to partition a drive, and you don't need a blank DVD, a second PC or even a USB thumbdrive... unless that's how you roll. With just an internet connection, you can perform the entire operation on any existing Windows 7 machine without any outside help, just so long as it fulfills the minimum requirements. Here's how:

Setup tool

win-8-install-560-3.jpg

the best way to go about getting the beta onto your computer is to use the setup tool. The tool will hold your hand while it downloads the necessary files, checks the integrity of those files, and formats your install media. Here's some step-by-step instructions.

1. Go to Microsoft's site and click "Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview." A small EXE file will be saved to your downloads folder.
  2. Open the downloaded file, and the setup tool will begin.
  3. The tool will start by checking to see that software on your computer is compatible with the Consumer Preview. It will take a few minutes for the check to complete.
  4. Once it's completed, the tool will tell you if it expects any software issues. If you're installing on a new partition, it won't matter if there are any incompatibilities, so long as you meet the minimum hardware requirements, but if you're going to do an in-place upgrade, you might want to take note. Click next.
  5. The tool will say that it's ready to download Windows, and it will grab a product key. Be sure to write it down somewhere just in case you need it later. Click next.
  6. The Consumer Preview will now be downloaded to your computer. On our speedy office connection, the download took us less than ten minutes to complete. You can also click the pause bottom in the bottom right corner if you want to take a break from downloading.
  7. You're just about ready to install. Before we continue, it's time to make a difficult decision. Skip down to "Upgrade, replace, or dual boot?" below.

ISO

windows-8-install-guide_560_2.jpg

If you're more comfortable with disk images than a dedicated install tool, Microsoft's got you covered there, too: you'll find 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs in five different languages right here, though you'll need to set aside roughly 3.3GB (for 64-bit) or 2.5GB (for 32-bit) for the ISO file before you burn it to a DVD or USB thumbdrive.

1. Download your ISO of choice.
  2. Find a 4GB (or greater) USB thumbdrive, or a DVD burner and blank DVD disc.
  3. Burn — don't copy — the ISO to your media of choice. Go to step 4 for USB, or skip to step 5 for the optical drive.
  4. For USB, since you won't have Microsoft's handy setup tool, you'll need an app that can create bootable thumbdrives. Microsoft's got a tool that should do the trick for you, and you can download it right here.
  5. For DVD, if you're running Windows 7, it's as easy as using the built-in Disk Image Burner. Just right-click on the ISO and select "Burn disc image." Third-party ISO burning software should also do the trick.
  6. Pull your freshly burned media out of your machine, and pop it back in.

Upgrade, replace, or dual-boot?

windows-8-install-guide12_560.jpg

Once you run the installer, you've got an important decision to make. Will you format your drive, dual-boot from a new partition, or install Windows 8 as an upgrade over the existing OS? As long as you're not risking your daily driver, the last choice is actually pretty painless, and is by far the easiest way to get Windows 8 up and running.
Upgrade
If you're using the Setup Tool, simply choose Install Now and follow the prompts. If you're installing from ISO, just run the setup.exe file on the disk you burned from within your existing Windows OS. Choose to keep "Windows settings, personal files, and apps" when prompted if you want to retain most of your Windows 7 settings.
After a whole host of reboots and a few simple pages of setting sliders that let you determine just how much control you want to let Microsoft have over your privacy and Windows experience, you'll be booted into an operating system that (underneath the funky new Metro UI) looks much like the one you left behind. You're done!
You'll have a fairly hefty Windows.old directory taking up gigabytes of storage in your system (you can remove it from the Disk Cleanup utility) but don't be fooled: you won't be able to downgrade back to your previous OS without a full reinstall.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Source:TheVerge

Anyone tried it yet?

The jury is still out with me until I get some more time to test drive it.

Initial look tells me that it is without doubt totally geared for touch and the integration of all ones media.

I know too that it is a human thing to resist change but I'm just not sure after my first run????

-

Ive never used vmware and know nothing about it.
Dont know if i can get it running on this machine either. Tried xp mode before and got a blue screen.
Have a feeling its just down to the Dell i'm using as i barely got windows 7 onto it, its humming away perfectly now so not sure if i should go messing with it again.

Any tips on VMware, where to start? Downloading the ISO now myself.

Any tips on VMware, where to start? Downloading the ISO now myself.

HiTeck has it covered HERE axxxo

VMware 8 is very straight forward to use once you actually have it.

You basically need to go to "File" new VM machine and either point it to an OS install disc or an ISO image of the OS and follow the prompts. Once installed you can take a snapshot of your new virtual machine at any point and revert to it if you ever screw up.

Any VM machine you create is totally independent of your main OS so there's no need to worry about screwing up your current system.

Had just found it and came back to report! Bout 13 mins downloading left Cheers Gman

Had just found it and came back to report! Bout 13 mins downloading left Cheers Gman

Don't forget to grab a key for the Windows 8 ISO, you will need it.

Can be got HERE under the "Download and Installing" heading by clicking the link titled "Do I need a Product Key to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview"

Anyone tried it yet?

The jury is still out with me until I get some more time to test drive it.

Initial look tells me that it is without doubt totally geared for touch and the integration of all ones media.

I know too that it is a human thing to resist change but I'm just not sure after my first run????

-

Think ill stick with 7 for now at least.
We'll see what the full version brings. To me, its just an extra layer with fancy shortcuts placed over the desktop screen. A bit frustrating but agree with you 100% that its geared toward heavy media usage.
Its all about tablets these days and these big shortcuts, which is all any folder on your desktop even now are, are just suited for tablets.
Might turn out to be good but for the moment, have absolutely no need to upgrade from 7 after seeing this!

Might turn out to be good but for the moment, have absolutely no need to upgrade from 7 after seeing this!

Yep, the tiles (big shortcuts as you call them) are designed for ones fingers for touching and swiping I'd imagine? Just like one does with pictures on the smart phones?

This preview of 8 is definitely not mouse friendly me thinks. At my very first visit I found it strange to even navigate around the OS initially. Sometimes I think some software engineers are just sitting there wondering, what they can change to make it different (to justify calling it a new OS with a new name) when in fact a lot of the time they just juggle stuff around for the sake of it :dunno: Take Office for example, when the moved from 2003 to 2007 they invented the ribbon and moved a lot of the standard features to different sections of the options :whacko: I guess it was them trying to justify calling it a new version? Not to mention the money being made by all those who either take or get sent on courses to learn how to re use a product they have been using for years? Oh yes, they call it progress lol

There's going to be a massive surge in the sales of touch monitors when 8 becomes standard too? This will no doubt lead to bundle PC's in the bricks and mortar stores becoming more expensive?

Now, Where the fook is that start button gone? lol

-

Now, Where the fook is that start button gone?

I kept hitting the windows key hoping it would appear somewhere!!!

A vast majority of this could have just been applied to a windows 7 update to be honest.

I bet we'll see hacks or customizations for windows 7 to look exactly like 8 with big clunky tiles or shortcuts in the very near future...

Back