Windows 8 Windows 8 Safe Mode

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I can see starting Windows 8 in "Safe Mode" is achieved by going through the "Advanced Startup" settings. Is this the only way? Surely having to be fully booted into Win 8 to invoke safe mode defeats the purpose? Are am I missing something.

Have a read of this ferg

Code:
http://www.techspot.com/news/48718-windows-8-removes-need-for-f8-key-advanced-boot-menu-redesigned.html

Just read that article Gman, it sure seems that way doesn't it, either enter advanced boot every time or else boot up then re-start holding the shift button. the second option makes a lie of Microsofts line that they didn't put in a "hot key" because it is an OS for mobile devices that don't have keyboards.

Also, as you say, this defeats the purpose of "safe mode"

We all know new OS's take a little getting used to especially when they change the location of certain functions? but today I was just wondering, aside from the learning curve, what are the most common thing one might need to do with an OS & were they still possible in Win 8?

Safe Mode was the first one that came to mind because it's the kind of thing you only really go looking for if you're in trouble.

Now that I think of it? I wonder which password reset discs, if any, still work on windows 8?

Anyone got other suggestions as to what from the old still works in 8 that we can check out?

I was in pc world today looking at a laptop, couldn't find anything. Need a tutorial if I ever get 8

Or just keep my head in the sand lol haven't really got into windows 7 yet :dunno: still miss windows 98 LOL

the 5 minute one's links are dead, did you get it, can you pass it?? maybe let google do the work for me.

Last edited:
Or just keep my head in the sand lol haven't really got into windows 7 yet :dunno: still miss windows 98 LOL

the 5 minute one's links are dead, did you get it, can you pass it?? maybe let google do the work for me.

I miss DOS meself LOL

Ah if we are going back into the annals of time, then I play my trump card - Basic (y)

10 PRINT "Wheelo rocks"
20 GOTO 10

Remember that one???

still have two working Sinclair Spectrums, one 48K RAM, the other 128K (one in original packaging lol) thats right, not GB, but KB

Found the book elsewhere(y)

The first IBM PC I had in work (and it's not all that long ago) had a 10MB HDD & 1MB of RAM.

I remember upgrading the RAM and at the time it was retailing for one hundred Irish pounds per MB.

To think that today you can buy 4GB for under €40.......

On a side note, they really are tearing the arse out of HDD prices though aren't they? I know the floods were bad but they are really milking it at this stage :no no:

again, seeing as we are going down memory lane, remember the floppy disks, the 4.25" was truly floppy, and could be folded up (not re-used though) and the 3.5", these were the future and saved blocking up your pitifully small hard drive.
I worked for Lotus (now IBM) and their programs 123 note, etc. came with several books as thick as the one in your other post about windows 8 and about 5 disks. I remember being "the man" when I could bring home a few disks that had labels applied wrongly and give them to friends to store documents on them, or alternatively instal the programs on the disk. :whistle:
As for the HDD prices, I would regularly look at 500G HDD's (portable) and I used to be able to get one for around €65, now they are around €80.(brand names)

Back