Windows 8 Windows 8 Security

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender integrated and Microsoft claim it might be an old name but it's a totally revamped security system covering both antivirus & mailware. They also claim that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is not compatible with Windows 8 and that the new Windows Defender for 8 is far superior.

What free options other than Windows Defender are users of Windows 8 using to protect their system?

How many of you have trusted your systems protection to Windows Defender alone?

Using AVG on Windows 8. Was going to run the free version of Avira, but it not compatible yet.

windows duhfender was the first thing i disabled on windows 7.

The windows Defender used in 7 is nothing like the one in 8 aldan. They are totally different animals altogether. Why they decided to step backwards name wise is beyond me though.

Using AVG on Windows 8. Was going to run the free version of Avira, but it not compatible yet.

Do you not find AVG very bloated now ferg?

Can Windows Defender be removed\Disabled in Win 8?

If not? What are your thoughts on running two antivirus Progs on your system simultaneously?

Last edited:
Do you not find AVG very bloated now ferg?

Honestly, I did not think that the latest version was that bad. A little annoying on the main panel with the self promotion ads, but otherwise seemed ok.

Can Windows Defender be removed\Disabled in Win 8?

Honestly.............I don't know.

If not? What are your thoughts on running two antivirus Progs on your system simultaneously?

Goes along with my previous answer, I guess I was just under the assumption that there was no antivirus present when I installed AVG. My thoughts on the 2 simultaneous anti virus programs, is that it should never be done. If indeed I figure out that both are active, then I will figure out how to disable/remove one or the other. This is a case of my ignorance possibly getting the better of me. lol

Have a read of this

Code:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013139/windows-8-raises-the-bar-for-pc-security.html

And this too

Code:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/03/win8_security_analysis/

Last edited:
Back