wireless internet connection problem

hi hope I'm in the wright forum,iv just reinstalled windows xp thank to all at techkings for all there help and support couldent of done it without them, but am having trouble setting up a wireless Internet connection,previously to reinstalling xp, Internet was fine now when i try load the soft wear for the netgear wireless usb adapter in setup it says i need a Internet connection to download software,before i did not need,this happens when i insert the software Cd

Who's your internet provider, you should have an installation cd from them e.g. eircom that came with your modem. You will have to run that again.

yes you need to install you drivers for your modem (provided by the internet company you have)

install your wireless router drivers ( cd that came with router)

yes you need to install you drivers for your modem (provided by the Internet company you have)

install your wireless router drivers ( CD that came with router)

thanks iv tried this as well from the CD but it says i have to have a Internet connection not wireless' basically on CD it says setup,setup manual,setup manual online.

thanks iv tried this as well from the CD but it says i have to have a Internet connection not wireless' basically on CD it says setup,setup manual,setup manual online.

sorry kind of hard to understand what you are saying, do you have a cable around so you can just plug it in and give it the connection without going wireless? set it up that way, then worry about getting wireless installed after the fact.

OK ill try that but don't understand how it worked the last time,i never had to plug it in to the router or that,is it because i reinstalled xp

OK ill try that but don't understand how it worked the last time,i never had to plug it in to the router or that,is it because i reinstalled xp

yes, your computer basically forgot you had wireless internet, so you need to teach it how to use it again, that is what the instlation cd or (drivers) are for.

As instructed your best to plug your internet feed straight to your PC.

Once you have done that download all the relevant Microsoft updates, then try the wireless Internet connection.

Before you may have had all the updates included in the installation and maybe this time you did not, we would not know this unless you stated you used the exact same installation as before but once you have all the updates on the direct feed you should be good to go with the wireless.

Paddy glad you managed to get your pc back up and running thanks to the helpful info you got on here. Im sure once you have reloaded your providers cd and does again as instructed you will be back up with your internet etc again in no time.

To go wireless you 1st need to have a wired connection somewhere - but im not 100% sure on that.
It it your main pc or just one you had connected to your wireless network

good to hear your back in action paddy, if you want to state the make and model of your computer we can all help searching your drivers for you

plug your ethernet cable directly into the connection at the back of your pc as said and as hiteck said leave alll the updates install before doing anything else, there will be alot and you will probably have to babysit it for a while to restart a few times during it (when prompted) .
everyone here will guide you through it if your stuck on anything else.

thanks its an E Machines PC ill do all this on Monday when I'm of work,have to make hay when the sun shines' weekends are my bread and butter,thank to all of u for Ur help i taught that PC was dead and buried

thanks its an E Machines PC ill do all this on Monday when I'm of work,have to make hay when the sun shines' weekends are my bread and butter,thank to all of u for Ur help i taught that PC was dead and buried

lol not quite yet, you can pull it back out of the garbage for now! LOL

i seem to have PC running smoothly now,got the wireless sorted by following Ur instructions done all the updates and so on,many thanks for Ur expert help.:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Back