Woods answers tough questions at Augusta

hill16

TK's Big Daddy
tigerwoods1.jpg

Tiger Woods expressed his gratitude to fans and addressed as he addressed some hard questions at his eagerly anticipated Masters press conference at Augusta National this evening.

The conference began promptly at 2pm (7pm Irish time) and addressed a wide range of questions over 35 minutes.

No subject was off limits and Woods answered questions seriously and forthrightly, emphasising the hurt that he had caused in many of his replies.

He also answered questions about allegations of illegal drug use, the timing of his comeback and his relationship with sponsors and fellow players.

The current world number one started off by speaking about how he had had an 'incredible day' at Augusta National during a practice round, saying that the reaction of fans 'had touched my heart'.

He revealed that he had played a practice round with Fred Couples and Jim Furyk, who joined the group on the 13th. He will play with Mark O'Meara and Steve Stricker tomorrow.

Woods promised to have a better relationship with fans and said that he would be less bad tempered on the golf course in future. He added that he would tone down his exuberant reactions to positive play too.

He also apologised to his fellow players for having to 'endure' endless questions about the scandal that erupted in November. He added that he hoped they would be left alone over the next week.

He said: 'I'm here at the Master to play and compete and I'm really excited about doing that.'

Asked about how he expected to feel in the aftermath of the scandal, he added: 'I will be how I was early in my career. I was at peace.'

Woods also answered a number of questions about Dr Anthony Galea, a doctor who is the subject of a Federal investigation over illegal drug use.

Sport At Seven: Listen to the Tiger Woods Press Conference and reaction from Darragh Maloney and Greg Allen.

He admitted he had been treated by Dr Galea, who is under federal investigation in a drugs case.

Galea visited Woods at his home during the latter's recovery from knee surgery and Woods acknowledged he had received a treatment known as 'blood spinning'.

Woods added: 'He (Galea) did come to my house, he never gave me HGH. I had PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatment.'

Asked if federal agents had contacted him in relation to Galea's case, Woods added: 'They contacted my agent and will get full cooperation whenever they need me, but right now they haven't asked for my time.'

Woods also revealed that his wife Elin will not be at the Masters this week. Woods said he would continue to undergo the therapy he has been receiving during his self-imposed exile.

'Will I stop? No. I will continued with my treatment', he added.

'That's not going to stop in the near future. I've come out a better person for it than when I went in. I did it to take a hard look at myself and that is what I did.'

While Woods said the media spotlight on him had been overwhelming, he admitted he had deserved the criticism levelled at him.

'There was a lot in the mainstream media. With 24 hour news these days you are looking for any kind of news to get out there,' he said.

'Of course they've been critical, they should. What I've done was wrong.'

Woods admitted he had not expected to return to golf as soon as this week's Masters at Augusta.

In February Woods made his first public appearance when he claimed he would not make a return to golf in the near future, but said that changed after working with his coach Hank Haney.

'When I gave my speech in February I had no intentions of playing golf in the near future,' he said.

'I had only just practised two days prior to that. I started hitting more and more balls and started to get the itch to play again.

'Hank came down and it felt like old times. We were working on my game for hours and hours and that's when I decided to come back.

'I didn't come back at Tavistock as I wasn't physically ready. I was nowhere near ready to play at that level as I am now.'

Woods revealed he missed his son's first birthday after deciding to go into rehab.

'Probably just prior to Christmas I made the decision to enter rehab. That was a very difficult time. Because of the time frame I missed my son's first birthday and that hurts.

'That was very hard...something I regret and probably will for the rest of my life.'

Woods added his wife Elin would not be attending the US Masters.

He claimed he was pleased to be teaming up again with caddy Steve Williams.

'To have Stevey back is tremendous,' he said.

'He's a great friend, always has been, always will be. We've had a long talk and it was a great talk as well.'

Woods admitted he understood why some of his sponsors had ended their association with him.

'Do I understand why they dropped me? Of course,' he said.

'Hopefully I can prove to the other companies going forward I am a worthy investment.'

Despite his extended break from golf, Woods admitted his expectations remained high.

'Nothing's changed,' he said.

'I will try and go out there and win this thing.'

He added: 'The fact I haven't really played at all, that's a little bit concerning.'

it is important for the sport that he is back as there is no point in winning unless you are playing against the best. it is probably important for him to get back to get his mind off his own problems, one thing though, will his missus travel everywhere with him now as it seems that they are back together

Back