Would You Put Up With What is Being Asked of the Greek People?

lusephur

Would You Put Up With What is Being Asked of the Greek People?

By Tony Bonsignore
May 07, 2010 "City Wire" -- Want to know exactly why public anger in Greece is running at such explosive levels? Then take a look at the austerity measures currently being debated by the Greek parliament.

The BBC reports that as part of the IMF/ EU bailout Greek leaders are proposing the following measures:

* Public sector pay to be frozen till 2014;
* Public sector salary bonuses – equivalent to two months’ extra pay – to be scrapped or capped;
* Public sector allowances to be cut by 20%;
* State pensions to be frozen or cut, with the contribution period up from 37 to 40 years;
* The average retirement age raised from 61 to 63, and early retirement restricted;
* VAT to be increased from 19% to 23%;
* Taxes on fuel, alcohol and tobacco raised to 10%;
* A new one-off tax on profits to be introduced, plus new gambling, property and green taxes.

On their own any one of these measures would probably be enough to prompt significant political disquiet; taken together they represent a catastrophic setback to the financial aspirations of the average Greek.

It certainly wasn’t what the Greek population voted for when they entered the EU in 1981 and adopted the single currency two decades later.

The country’s government argues that it has no choice it if is to avoid an even greater catastrophe.

‘We are all responsible so that it does not take the step into the void,’ prime minister Karolos Papoulias argues, warning that the country is on the ‘brink of the abyss.’

Others, though, argue that Greece is being held to ransom by the EU and the IMF for ideological reasons, and that there are other more equitable options available.

Leave the single currency, for example, or nationalise Greece’s banks.

Or even default or restructure - and leave those German and French banks with massive holdings of Greek debt to deal with the consequences of their own investment folly.

More broadly, protestors argue that they are being made to pay for a crisis they did not cause, and which wealthy speculators are still profiting from.

That is inherently unfair, they say, and it must not be allowed to pass.

It all adds up to a huge dilemma for the Greek government.

Here in the UK on general election day, meanwhile, the main political parties are digesting yesterday's news from the European Commission that our economy now has the biggest budget deficit in the 27-nation EU.

The UK, of course, with its own currency, has many more policy options that Greece, and its economy is not nearly in the same mess as Greece's. Not yet, anyway.

'The first thing for the new government to do is to agree on a convincing, ambitious programme of fiscal consolidation in order to start to reduce the very high deficit and stabilise the high debt level of the UK,' said EU commissioner Ollie Rehn.

'That's by far the first and foremost challenge of the new government. I trust whatever the colour of the government, I hope it will take this measure.'

Today's Money Blog question, then, is one which goes to the heart of the political crisis which is gripping the Eurozone at the moment; it might even be a question asked of us by the next government, whatever hue they might be.

Put simply: would you put up with what is being asked of the Greek people?

Thoughts please.

the irish government have introduced an awful lot of these measures:-
the public service workers have had a 9% pay cut, plus a 6% pay rise due has not been given
they are going to raise the pension age to 68
taxes on fuel have gone up by another 6c per litre, spirits and tobacco taxes are alot higher than 10%
VAT runs at 21%
green "carbon" taxes have been introduced

BUT AND AINT THERE ALWAYS A BUT,

Ireland hasn't had to be bailed out by the international community, in fact they stupidly have just bailed out the banks, whose greed is the reason for the global downturn. Stupidity or what???

true, and the majority of these plans came from? What? Lennihan? on his own? coming up with what the IMF, Moodys, Standards and Poors, The World Bank and The ECB have been looking for elsewhere? Surprising really.
But yes, we haven't recieved a bailout package per se, but the Irish Gov did try yet again for another round of, Pass The Gov Bond game hoping for more investors, a situation which is a large part of the current Irish Situation, that and the neoliberal economic stance, the financial deregulation practices of the past 30 odd years, the near complete reliance on foreign investment with not investment on any major (read: a threat to the markets of the multi corps) for national industry, the allowance for the pillage and sale of national interests and industry (sugar beet, the paper industry, the selling off of gov services as they were costing money, but that's the point of the public service, and lets not forget the reduction of taxes for those over a certain threshold, those legal persons --Intel, Microsoft, McDonalds are under law recognised as a person not a company, go figure)

And a FG government would be a lot worse as they want to privatise all the family jewels... CIE, ESB, Bord Gais, Hospitals, Etc, hardly the way forward, what we need is an equitable society, that treats me the same as Mr. Desmond et al.(y)

greece has been living beyond its means for a long time.living in canada,these measures dont seem all that drastic to me.

indeed.
please, don't for a minute think i support FG, or FF or even Labour (since the mullingar accord), three factions of the same party really, the business party

indeed.
please, don't for a minute think i support FG, or FF or even Labour (since the mullingar accord), three factions of the same party really, the business party

if that was aimed at me, no i didn't think that you supported any of the above, i would have put you down a lot further left:cheesy grin:

I wasn't making assumptions, i was enjoying a bit of political debate as a lot of what is said is absolutely true.

@aldan, you are right, greece has been living beyond its means. and the fact that it relies so heavily doesn't help it out as during a recession, which goes first...food or that foreign holiday??

But is it something that they should be rioting about, undecided as i can see why the cuts are necessary, but i also know from our own muppets in chiefs, that the benefits that they give themselves are way beyond belief, for instance, should the Taoiseach(PM) of ireland be earning more than the president of the united states??? i think not!!

I wasn't making assumptions, i was enjoying a bit of political debate as a lot of what is said is absolutely true.

Sorry, my bad, still on shaky ground, new forum etc.
Yes you are correct I do stand somewhere to the left, and proud too :)
'm enjoying the debate too, which reminds me, I've got a docu to add

just started the download, even though moores is completely biased he does provoke thought

@aldan, you are right, greece has been living beyond its means. and the fact that it relies so heavily doesn't help it out as during a recession, which goes first...food or that foreign holiday??

But is it something that they should be rioting about, undecided as i can see why the cuts are necessary, but i also know from our own muppets in chiefs, that the benefits that they give themselves are way beyond belief, for instance, should the Taoiseach(PM) of ireland be earning more than the president of the united states??? i think not!![/QUOTE]

too true.i especially love it when they decide to redecorate their office or residence as soon as they are in power.at our bloody expense.recessions seem to apply to everyone except politicians.damn,i guess i am a little left of center too.lol

nothing like a bit of social justice aldan, now the commies, them you have to look out for lol

oh aye, keep on eye on the commies alright, bit more to the left than me.
but you will find a majority of people do find themselves to the left of centre on the majority of issues,

our lives would be far easier if we keft the EU thats billions saved, the human rights law scrapped (so scum can`t` say wearing an orange vest is a infingement) use there own laws to stop them taxing us on our exports also cuts the peeps that move here and claim benifits after never paying foock all in. it also free`s up the fisherman, farmers to earn a living, lets me work 80 hours a week if i won`t.

Back