Xbox Boss Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
A top Xbox executive has told Sky News that he is "unapologetic" about his company's decision to bar as many as a million people from using Xbox Live.

16200263450682.jpg

Up to 1m Xboxes are blocked

Xbox Boss Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown

8:50pm UK, Thursday November 12, 2009

Peter Hoskins and Hazel Tyldesley, Sky News Online
A top Xbox executive has told Sky News that he is "unapologetic" about his company's decision to bar as many as a million people from using Xbox Live.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, Xbox's chief executive for Europe Chris Lewis explained the thinking behind the policy.

"We are very committed to stamp out piracy. It's an issue not only for Xbox, it's an issue for the industry as a whole, it's an issue for Microsoft generally," he said.

"Clearly it's important for us to be able to stamp down on that to protect the 10 million people that are already on Xbox 360 in Europe for instance. So we take it very seriously."

n an interview with Sky's Anna Jones, Mr Lewis went on to defend the move.

"If it's clear someone is downloading pirated copies or have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately and yes we lock that account down and we're unapologetic about that," he said.

His comments came after parent company Microsoft blocked the consoles because their owners had modified the equipment to play games they had not paid for.

Those affected will have to buy new machines if they want to connect to Xbox Live, which allows them to compete with other gamers online.

Since the blocking began, so-called 'modded' consoles have flooded sites like eBay and Craigslist at knocked-down prices.

Buyers will still be able to play games on them offline, but Microsoft warns the warranty on them is invalid and they can not be connected to Xbox Live.

Users of the web service, which allows the 20 million gamers signed up to compete against each other via the web, appeared split over Microsoft's move.

"I applaud Microsoft for what they have done. Cheaters and exploiters are criminals in my book, and should be banned whenever discovered," wrote one Xbox user on a web forum.

However, another took the view: "Pirating is not ok, but neither is the invasion of privacy. If Microsoft can get in your home network and find out what you have on the xbox what is to stop them from finding out what else you have on your network?"

Other users expressed concerns that people who hadn't tried to modify their Xbox, but instead had a genuine fault, could be hit by the ban.

Microsoft would not say exactly how many customers were affected although reports suggested the number could be as high as one million.

Its crackdown came as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a video game destined for huge Xbox success, broke sales records as it hit shelves in the UK.

-

hey M$, what about the people that modified to play legitmate backups? or are they pirates to because they circumvented your copyrighted firmware? thats what i thought..... thanks G.

Microsoft cracks down on gaming pirates

[YOUTUBE]rjKRZHXvPqs&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]​

xbox pirates are thinking again alright, on how they detected this and how to stop them from detecting it!
i would say nearly 100 percent of pirates are xbox live users but still pump money into xbox live through subscriptions, downloadable content such as new maps, dvd's, sky tv, customising avatars, microsoft points and buying games from xbox live to install to their hard drive. the list is endless really and what microsaps should be doing is making the overall experience a whole lot cheaper!!!
Then and only then would i consider about no more piracy!

xbox pirates are thinking again alright, on how they detected this and how to stop them from detecting it!
i would say nearly 100 percent of pirates are xbox live users but still pump money into xbox live through subscriptions, downloadable content such as new maps, dvd's, sky tv, customising avatars, microsoft points and buying games from xbox live to install to their hard drive. the list is endless really and what microsaps should be doing is making the overall experience a whole lot cheaper!!!
Then and only then would i consider about no more piracy!

couldnt agree more, these games are by far overpriced, and microsoft know how to squeeze every last cent out of people, you only have to look at the o/s's that they have released, in fact vista was a disaster, but only for the consumer.

also, homie, you are right too as if kids get their hands on these games, they inevitably become scratched, so to create a backup copy for them, is a wise choice.

good and bad points here, people have had their fill and monies worth, time to say "well nevermind" start again! is this the first of many moves by top companies?

bit of both dandare, yes it might well be time to say "we had a good run", but you can be sure that the people who wrote the initial ways to backup discs arent going to take this lying down and will again write softtware to confuse the xbox.
in ireland, the FTA box scene is fairly much gone(Nagra3) and i indeed say i had a good run, but for backup discs, i say that it makes sense in case of accidents.(y)

Back