Xbox Live Mandatory Dashboard Update Nov 1st

axxxo

VIP Member
Dashboard, that is. You've already seen the new Xbox 360 dashboard update right here and thousands of you have tried its flatter, faster interface for yourselves, but if you've missed out, it's looking like your Halloween candy bag may include a full-scale rollout. Xbox Live subscribers are getting the above message in their inboxes right now, indicating that November 1st will bring a service update of some sort, after which point "You will notice a change to the layout of the Xbox LIVE Dashboard, a new color scheme, and new fonts being used." That doesn't necessarily sound like a cornucopia of Netflix Search, ESPN, Kinect and Zune Music to us, but it's not like you have a choice -- it's mandatory, and you'll lose all Xbox Live functionality unless you comply. We for one welcome our new gaming software overlords. Unlike some of the competition's updates, these at least add functionality.

The date is now official! The new Kinect/Fall2010 Update is coming tomorrow (Monday Nov 1st). Microsoft announced this via e-mail [xbox.com]:

On November 1, 2010, there will be a mandatory service update to Xbox LIVE. This update will both add new features to your service and also enhance the interface, navigation, and responsiveness of Xbox LIVE.

Q: Is there anything I need to do to start the update?
A: Beginning on November 1, 2010, you will receive a notification that an update to Xbox LIVE is available as soon as you start your Xbox 360 console. Use your controller to accept the update according to the on-screen instructions.
Q: What if I decline the service update?
A: If you decline the update, you will not be able to connect to Xbox LIVE until the update is accepted. You will still be able to use all of the offline features of your Xbox 360 console. Xbox LIVE features will be unavailable until the update is complete.
X-S Note: With the confirmation from C4E that the latest beta fall2010 dashboard has new AP2.5 checks and SSv3 with new games, we 'suggest' anyone with a modified FW stay away from the update and these new games (Fable3, ...) for now if you don't want to be part of the 'MS November 2010 BanHammer' ;)
JTAG 360s (do I need to remind this?) should of course also not update, it will break the JTAG/SMC hack forever. You will have to wait for a new rebooter (freeBOOT/XBReboot).

source engadget and xboxscene

hopefully wont affect most of us

Xbox360 LT+ SLim only Coming SOON NO ETA ATM
<p-FuNk> gonna be a LT+ ?
<+c4eva> no eta, LT+ is for slim only, new checks are for slim only
<+c4eva> jf will also be updated for full support for slim including 0225 key dump!
<+c4eva> benq LT is fine
<+c4eva> there are several real-time checks in slim to overcome but should be ok
<+c4eva> current LT is fine
<+c4eva> terablinda is great, it all stems from fw unlock routine in slim which we have known for sometime now, jf will be updated to have improved support for slim
<+c4eva> realtime ram check,realtime fw check,realtime buffer check, are just some of the new checks for slim, we will cover our tracks with LT+
<+c4eva> it shows the current LT is doing its job for these new checks to be implemented!
<NEO_X> c4eva are there also new discs checks on its way ?
<+c4eva> alot more info will be released in the coming weeks on all the MS checks

I have my liteon flashed back to stock and according to xval my secdata is clear so fingers crossed ill not get the ban this time round.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the update and "backups" of newer iso's down the road.

New LT+ firmware maybe needed for most drives and not just the slim with the AP2.5 check!

Axxxo, i have an xbox here for myself to modify, should i update first, then modify, or not bother with the update at all. I dont think that i will be using the xbox online at all, though that might change. (it's another liteon for me to wreck:grin:)

second, the last one that i did for a lad in work, he doesn't go online except when the game gets certain awards from certain games, is it wisest to get him to keep offline altogether?

You could wait for the LT+ firmware to be released for newer game releases wheelo for yourself.

For the second question, if the chap plays games early, before their release date then all that info is stored and sent once he's connected to live so i would keep it offline myself.

edit:
By the way just because we survived a ban with the dash update doesnt mean we're safe from a ban a few days/weeks down the road!

Last edited:
but the one i have for myself has never been touched, so update or not? doesn't matter much to me, just hope there is no modding blocker in the new firmware

If your gonna want to go online with the untouched one i would wait for the new firmware. Mines staying as stock until its released. Doesnt look like LT+ is gonna see this side of christmas though according to C4E :(

Back