Xbox Live Network Bridging Issues

JoeR

Nooo!!
I just had to re-install Windows Vista ><
It wasn't relating to anything above ^^ but I might as well not go spamming the forum with loads of threads and keep it all in one big one.

I got an xbox yesterday, brought it home, hooked it up and I couldn't connect to xbox live at all
So I went onto the support site and I went through all of their tips which included bridging my connection...what a failure! and turning on ICS but whenever I did it would cut me off from the internet completely and I kept getting the same errors on my Xbox.
Here's the errors I get:
If I use Automatic Settings on my xbox then the message I get is ''Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem.'' And when I enter everything manually, like my IP address and stuff, I get the message ''Can't connect to your network hardware using a static IP address.''

I've got a 3G Dongle but I've only ever had that and it doesn't ever lag or anything before anyone asks:P It's also the only ISP available to me or I'd get BT or some kind of WiFi so I wouldn't have to put up with this stuff!!

I've got my xbox hooked up to my pc with an ethernet cable and I'm fully sure that my problems lie with my computers network settings...I tried bridging my networks and had to re-install vista this morning 'cos I couldn't access the internet and I couldn't fix it myself, no matter what I tried.........any ideas? I'm so confused it's never taken me this long to sort out !:(
Not even youtube has came to my rescue!! :whacko:
This is my last attempt before I bring it blow it up lol :willy nilly:
Thanks for reading through all that, I hope I made some sense!
Joe

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Here's my xbox forum thread which I have had to post separately to my last as I was one post short so I wasn't allowed post this link.
Xbox Live Difficulties connecting (Wired Connection) - 02 - Connecting to Xbox LIVE - Xbox Support - Xbox Forums - Xbox.com
It wasn't much help but may have info you guys could use.

Went ahead and moved your post to a new thread as it is really unrelated to your previous issues.

Thanks dude, I didn't wanna go spamming or anything so I left it as it was mostly a pc type problem, thanks though, it should get more notice now!
Joe

So basically, in a nutshell, you want to bridge your internet connection between the pc and xbox :)

Ive just tried this out and its worked well for me :) (using windows 7 though)

Using vista check these vids and see if you can follow them, visual is better than typing :)

[video=youtube_share;4Yt5IrIh8sA]http://youtu.be/4Yt5IrIh8sA?t=17s[/video]

To enable ICS, on your host computer:

• Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button
    294.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
  • Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties.
    295.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.

On my xbox under configure network and basic settings, i left configure ip to automatic but i did however have to configure the DNS myself

To find out what your dns is

Click start on the desktop or windows orb whatever you want to cal it, type CMD, right click on the result showing and click on RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
    A new window should open.

In this new window type

ipconfig /all

alot of text will appear

you need to find the entry for DNS servers

You can also see from these results your ipv4 address, default gateway, subnet mask if you need them.

If you like you could give us a screenshot of where you are selecting to bridge your connection using the snipping tool that comes with vista.

Your settings look ok if anything i would change the last digit of the IP you enter manually to something higher incase there is some sort of conflict.

Let us know how you get on, you might want to create a system restore point this time :)
Now, excuse me while i put my router back together lol

Thanks for the answer Axxo !!
I tried the Network Bridge and I think I did it right, I followed the instructions as he went but it still failed, I keep only getting ''Limited Connectivity'' on my PC :(
I took some screenshots of different stages to give you a look at what I mean and see if I'm doing something horribly wrong lol
Here is what comes up when my xbox is on and nothing is bridged and ICS isn't on or anything like that

1 by Joe the T guy, on Flickr
This is before I bridge them:

What I'm trying to bridge by Joe the T guy, on Flickr
Once I bridge it, I lose my Internet Connection on the PC and the XBOX doesn't work.

Once the connection is bridged by Joe the T guy, on Flickr See, nothing :(
When I remove the bridge I'm back to square one...

This is when I remove the bridge by Joe the T guy, on Flickr
I'm so confused and I know I'm doing something wrong:P
I also had to turn off my firewall to enable Media Sharing
God Windows XP is so much easier...plug it all in and I'm on, I hate Vista!!!!!

Everyone hates vista lol

I see you have two local area connections, have you tried bridging just one or a different one each time?

Also try changing your network to home network instead of public

I just did what's in the piccies mate, Local Area Connection 2 is my Internet, Local area connection is the xbox, I bridged those.
I changed it to a home one, still no joy....at this rate I think I'll just try and get my mum's old XP thing working and just use that solely for Live, ugh!

Are you still getting the problem of limited or no connectivity?

Surprisingly i tried mine again, didnt work :)

On the xbox side i switched the IP settings to manual and just selected whatever was there, then i switched back to automatic, let it alone for a few seconds and it updated itself with the correct settings allowing me into live again.

Start from scratch with the xbox disconnected or switched off.
Delete the local area connection that shows for the xbox.

This is a pic of mine connected with the xbox, the unidentified public network is the connection for the xbox and the wireless is the one i am sharing.

18-07-2011 15-49-24.jpg

Across from Home Network, i clicked on Wireless Network Connection

Properties

Then at the top, there is a second tab Sharing

This is what i have selected from there
18-07-2011 16-07-09.jpg

Once that was done i then switched on the xbox and started configuring the network settings on the xbox side.
All sounds easy when it works lol

Thanks!!, Yeah I still had the limited connectivity problems ><
I'll try your method now :)

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!

Back