Your Android really needs Antivirus Security?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
Untitled-1.png

Why shouldn't you protect your Android phone? Why to use an Antivirus for your Android? So that users can protect their devices from trojans, viruses, spyware, and other types of malware. Most people carry a lot of sensitive data on their phones. Recently an SMS Trojan horse posing as a media player began infecting Android phones on Russian networks. Once the victim installed the malicious app, it began sending text messages to premium numbers, leaving the user with a huge phone bill.

Also Security researchers from Kaspersky Labs have intercepted a scareware variant targeting Android users, distributed as an Opera Virus Scanner. If the user clicks on the link, they’ll be asked to download VirusScanner.apk, which is currently detected as Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.Scavir. If the user is using a non-Android device, they’ll be asked to download VirusScanner.jar currently detected as Trojan-SMS.J2ME.Agent.ij.

With this in mind we at The Hacker News have list down the top 5 antivirus apps for Android phones:

1.) Lookout Security & Antivirus: Lookout Security & Antivirus is arguably the most popular security and anti-virus for Android around. A free account lets you scan your phone for malware, back up and restore your data online, and use GPS to locate your phone should it ever get lost or stolen.

2.) Avast Free Mobile Security: Avast Free Mobile Security supports a number of features that are usually available only in paid-for Android security software. These include privacy reports, call and SMS filtering, SIM-card change notifications, firewall and application management.

3.) Kaspersky Mobile Security: Kaspersky Lab released a free security application to keep your contacts, email and banking information from falling into the wrong hands. Kaspersky Mobile Security Lite can also remotely delete all personal data from the device including contacts, addresses, calendars, text messages and email preventing sensitive information from being illegally used or stolen.

4.) Norton Mobile Security Beta: Norton lends its anti-malware, anti virus, and security expertise to mobile. Smartphones hold a lot of valuable data: Text messages, e-mail, and even credit card numbers can reside on the device, where they're easily accessed.

5.) Mobile Security 6.0: NQ Mobile released Mobile Security 6.0 for Android as a free download. It etects and deletes viruses, malicious URLs, and other threats before you even know they exist with newly enhanced features including GPS-based anti-loss/theft features, backup and restore tools for your contacts, complete privacy protection, traffic monitoring, and more.

Perhaps it’s the 90’s and 80’s mindset that has us still thinking that cell phones are dumb single purpose devices, that causes us to not care about the security of our mobile devices.A wake up call to just how vulnerable cell phones are was recently raised when Google had to remove about 21 malicious apps from the market that were found to be nabbing user’s data. Go ! Get one Best Security Product for your Android from above list, If you really love your Phone ;-)

Thanks for this Dan, I just picked up Samsung Galaxy and had no idea a andriod based phone could get viruses.
I've installed AVG mobile now.
On a side note, these ads while playing games are annoying, I shut off "Use packet data" and no more ads.

Last edited:
Have you got a link for than Icanbe please. my sons g/f has jstu got a galaxy ace for christmas and guess what page she used most FB lol!

I believe this may be it linny:

Code:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antivirus&referrer=utm_source%3DAVG%26utm_medium%3DCTA%26utm_term%3Ddownload%26utm_campaign%3Dwebsite

Have you got a link for than Icanbe please. my sons g/f has jstu got a galaxy ace for christmas and guess what page she used most FB lol!

Hi Linny tell her to click on "Apps" and it'll be in the android market, it's free and seems to work pretty good so far. :)

Thanks for this Dan :)

My Hubby has just put "AVG" on his HTC and I'm trying the "lookout security & antivirus" on my Galaxy, see how they go :)

And as Icanbe said Linny, tell her to go to the android market and search for what one she wants (y)

Thanks guys will pass the message on to her 2mora. When i told her about it earlier she asked "why" lol so i told her if u wanna keep ur shiny new phone u need it. We dont coz me n george got iphones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Lookout for me too, then again it's down to common sense as always, don't download an app that has very little hits and read comments.

HTC Desire S~Tapatalk

Just been having a little mess around (trying out lol) this "lookout" I put on my mobile and have to say so far so good and excellent the way you can go to the website and track your mobile on map, also loving the 'scream' feature if phone is mislaid (y)

pity I did'nt have this on my HTC desire back in November, maybe then I'd still have the phone :( ...................... I miss my HTC so much :cry:

Last edited:
shes just had a look and gone for AVG because its something she knows, there were 2 that instantly showed up but she didnt like the look of the other one. But ill get her to look for that lookout as it sounds good

Anto another top class tracking app I have installed on the phone and on the laptop is Prey anti theft. Highly recommend it.

HTC Desire S~Tapatalk

Anto another top class tracking app I have installed on the phone and on the laptop is Prey anti theft. Highly recommend it.

Thanks axxxo, just put it on laptops and mobile, god help who ever tries to steal my phone again LOL

I've had lookout on my androd for over a year and not once has anything been picked up. Would say its only needed if usng *ahem* sourced jar files

I have been using Comodo Mobile Security (free) for my mobile, and Comodo Internet Security (free) for my desktop and laptop. I have been using Comodo Mobile since I got my HTC Sensation almost 2 years ago and haven't had any problem with it. My desktop and laptop have been protected by Comodo for several years now, and it has worked extremely well for me.

Back