Z Gemma Boxes Fire Hazard?

Reece11

Hello Everyone

Just a query regarding the safety of the boxes.

Since there made in China, have the correct safety precautions been taken with the manufacture of these boxes?

Are they a Fire Hazard?

WOS has given me A sales pitch, told me not to trust these boxes as there made in China.

There saying its best to Buy There Korean Builds.

Also what's the Aesthetics like on these boxes?

Is the box cheap looking?

Thanks

In my view they look a little "80's clock radio" but seem to be put together well enough. I can't see them being any more a fire risk than any other electrical product as they have CE approval. I've not had any korean equipment other than my wifes new Kia so can't really comment on how well they make home electronics! One thing I would say is that the Zgemma comes with a proper UK moulded plug where as some other manufacturers you quite often end up with those 2pin to 3 pin converters which I don't think are the safest or aesthetically pleasing. The chances are a Korean box will be made using components sourced from China anyway!

The main advantage of buying from WOS is that all devices they sell have official Vix support and you have a full UK warranty. Dependant on where you buy a Zgemma you may not get a UK guarantee.

very good point most people dont think about boxes going on fire and like the old openbox,boxes do run hot and i would not let it sit on the carpet:fartlight:

very good point most people dont think about boxes going on fire and like the old openbox,boxes do run hot and i would not let it sit on the carpet

Surely that applies to all though, not just those made in China????

---------- Post Merged at 10:01 PM ----------

zgemma.jpg
Not too bad looking in my mind....

no its the quality of used parts that makes them run hotter,does the box have many holes to allow heat to escape and keep box cooler.
some boxes dont have safety built in.

Same broadcom chipset in most boxes and as stated I think it's a pretty safe bet that the majority of components in the Korean boxes come from China too? Plenty of ventilation and mine doesn't seem to run hot anyway.

Generally it's the power supply that creates most heat and these are external psu so I wouldn;t have thought they'd get that hot. the ce marking means nothing

dont loose that box now so small

The advantage of SOC.... I'm surprised there's no room left for an internal drive

Here's hoping they don't all go :boom: nearly 3months I've had mine and it's on 24/7 and no sign yet so think I'll be ok lol

Generally it's the power supply that creates most heat and these are external psu so I wouldn;t have thought they'd get that hot. the ce marking means nothing

Thanks for the responses everyone.

My first impression was the box does look very Archaic to me.

Of course the Box's exterior, shouldn't be a reflection on its capabilities.

But I am concerned about the interior parts and power source.

I'v had a skybox, it used to heat up all the time

WOS was adamant not to trust these boxs.

Probably just a sales pitch, but it has got me thinking.

At the same time, there are many people who have bought these boxes, and they seem content with no issues.

Just weighing up the options, Zgemma for £72 or get the Golden Interstar XPEED Twin FOR £109.

Last edited:
they state facts and do people do research before buying no they dont,wos is the home of vix original boxes with warranties,and they flash boxes with other supported images.people were warned about buying clones and many had their chips wiped.
you do the research and make mind up with the boxes you buy and when things go kak up well you learn more about this hobby.

Overheating

Hi I have always raised electronics up off the surface they are sitting on as this allows for better airflow around the unit.That way you are sure heat is getting the best chance to escape from the device. A c e mark means that the device meets the safety standards set out in law and can be easily checked on if you have any doubts about it's authenticity in relation to any consumer goods you may or are considering buying.Scare tactics being used by the competition because the competition is running scared. IMHO.

Back