ZGemma box dying? - Keeps cutting out

rasj

Hi Guys,

It's been over a year since I've had my Zgemma Star-S with daily use and so far it's been holding up well.

The Issue
However, for the last 1.5 months, it's been randomly rebooting itself and this has gotten worse over time with reboots happening more frequently.

For the last couple of weeks however, it's gotten to the point where the screen would now just go completely black and it would not reboot itself automatically, nor is it responsive to any remote button presses or OpenWebIf access. The front LED display however is still alive, although it is frozen - that is the only sign of life.

What I've tried

• reflashing the box from OpenVix to OpenATV but that has not fixed the issue. I didn't think it was an issue with the image anyways since my Openvix image has been working very well for over 8 months and it was only the last month or so it started having random reboots
  • Switching power supply cables, HDMI cables and the LNB feed thinking it may have shorted the box causing it to shut off as a safety feature. None have made a difference
  • Heating the PCB with a hairdryer (as an alternative to baking it in the oven) to see if if would reflow the solder
  • Disconnecting the USB flash drive - made no difference

What I think is the issue

• Hardware issue - something tells me it's related to heat / gpu / cpu issues within the box itself. The reason I say this is because the reboots were gradually getting worse - If the box has not been used for a while and you restart the device by reconnecting the power, it would display the TV picture for a few minutes before rebooting itself again. However, If you've watched the TV for a lot longer, it would tolerate displaying the TV channel for fewer minutes before it reboots, eventually getting to the point where it continuously reboots itself without even getting to the stage of displaying the channel. Now however, it does not even reboot - the screen just goes completely black with the front LED display on the box still lit up but the box completely unresponsive.

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me what they think is wrong with this box. I'm hoping it's not DEAD and that there's still life in it, but I'm not sure what to try.

Any pointers would be great.

Cheers ;)

First port of call would be a new PSU,
Preferably more powerful than the bare minimum one supplied.

BTW, someone is selling an H2s in the for sale section for reasonably money.
I can't remember who, I think its @baz2011uk

Hi Steptoe,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if you missed it in my first post, but I've already tried different power adapters (3 different ones in fact) and also just confirmed it again with a 4th adaptor this morning. Sadly it's made no difference so I doubt that was the cause of the issue.

Would be grateful if anyone else has some ideas as to what could be wrong?

Cheers ;)

Both h2s have now sold but thanks for tagging me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Steptoe,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if you missed it in my first post, but I've already tried different power adapters (3 different ones in fact) and also just confirmed it again with a 4th adaptor this morning. Sadly it's made no difference so I doubt that was the cause of the issue.

Would be grateful if anyone else has some ideas as to what could be wrong?

Cheers ;)
Are they the correct size jacks,?
A 2.5 jack will fit a 2.1 pin but may make poor contact.

Are they the correct size jacks,?
A 2.5 jack will fit a 2.1 pin but may make poor contact.
Yep, definitely same size jacks. Compared all of them to the original and they are exactly the same size and fit in perfectly.

My box has actually gotten worse now. It now only displays the red standby LED when you connect it to power instead of BOOT and does not respond to anything.

I'm thinking this is the end of the box...? :(

[QUOTE = "rasj, post: 820932, member: 93670"] Ja, definitiv gleichgroße Jacks. Im Vergleich alle zum Original und sie sind genau gleich groß und passen perfekt zusammen.

Meine Box ist jetzt schlimmer geworden. Es zeigt jetzt nur die rote Standby-LED an, wenn Sie es statt BOOT an die Stromversorgung anschließen und auf nichts reagiert.

Ich denke, das ist das Ende der Box ...? :([/ZITAT]

Hallo ich habe so gleich Problem wens jemand ein lösung haben teilen bitter mit uns, danke

Back